Wish this surgery worked on my brain too.

juvebrad1
on 5/23/16 7:32 pm
VSG on 05/17/16

I had surgery one week ago tomorrow. I have been wanting to eat everything I see for the last two days. I haven't because I know better but this has still been very hard. Any advice to help not thinking about it so much?  

happytoloose
on 5/23/16 9:00 pm

I fought the head hungries for months after surgery , but I won most of the time.

popcorn, plain airpopped no goodies on it. That got me through it.

now, 19 mo out, still get those hh urges but they aren't as strong now.

I AM IN CONTROL NOW! and its great.

a doughnut? ok. A DOUGHNUT. NOT 6

A CANDY BAR, AN ICE CREAM CONE, once in a while, not daily like before.

Your brain will come arround, belive me.

Be good to yourself, dont get all miserable trying to be perfect. it aint gonna happen.

BUT.....

If you stay true to the protien goals, stay away from soda pop, and consider the nutrition labels for ANYTHING you put in your mouth, youll do great.

Your wish will come true, because it DOES work on your brain.

Good luck, stay excited, and get this done.  Life is sooo much better when your not carrying another body around with you all the time.

19 months- 265 lbs, gone forever. Thats an NFL LINEBACKER! LOL

You got this!!

I LOVE MY SLEEVE

Rod

Neesie57
on 5/23/16 9:15 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Sometimes we just have to gut it out for a while until we get over the urges to eat what we did before. Right now, your stomach has to heal, so you could actually do damage at this stage to your newly sleeved tummy.  You will be able to eat most of what you want in the future, but never to the level you did before.  That donut needs to wait a long time, because right now you need to concentrate on protein, and forget about carbs.  

If you feel like you can't say no, therapy could help you to say no to cravings.  If you don't want to go to therapy, you can go to Overeaters Anonymous, who can help you say no.  

I wish you all the luck with you new sleeve.  It is the best thing I've done for myself and I'm not less than 5 pounds from goal.  You can do this!!!!!!!!!

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/16 8:26 am

Once you are allowed a little more than protein shakes and the new life starts to become a habit it will become easier. As you start to eat you will find things don't seem the same, foods you loved you can take or leave. Some things feel like they are hardly worth cooking, buying etc as you can eat so little of them . As the scale goes down the enjoyment of seeing that also works on the brain and thoughts of that, feeling better and looking better take up space the brain the used to give to food. Well not really but it seems that way.

Right now your brain is probably wondering what is going on and how come for weeks probably it has not had any thing good. I presume you were on a liver shrink diet before surgery. Habits are hard to break but you can and will do it.

Lots people here to support and encourage you. How to not think about food right now..not sure what to tell you on that. I tried to keep busy and walk a lot. Good luck

Kris R.
on 5/24/16 9:36 am - Walworth, NY

I agree with all these posts. Being almost 4 months out - and currently in a stall and very frustrated and wanting to toss the towel in - I don't.  I know this works, I just need to let it.  So my advice for you would be to get the food out of the house.  I no longer have bread in my house.  My kids/husband haven't eaten bread since I was sleeved and not 1 of them has asked or complained about not having a sami.  I bake my chicken parm instead of frying, I eat spaghetti squash instead of pasta, we eat fish twice a week now and we're all eating spinach.  We now have eggs for dinner more often and our lives are not driven around food so much.  It was really like a light went off.  My teenage girls and I take 2 min. to review the menu for the week.  pork chops, chicken, steak, fish, salad, smoothies, almonds.. and i hit the grocery store with my list and purchase the items I need for the meals.  I'm saving money, looking and feeling really good - just wish this dumb stall would move the scale.  (I have vowed not to step on it until Monday) for both the scales sake and my own.  :)...  Hang in there - you've got this!! 

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

acbbrown
on 5/24/16 11:04 am - Granada Hills, CA

Everyone's journey is soooo different so I'll share some snap shots of mine. 

Right after surgery - I knew I couldn't touch the junk. I just knew it was off limits so I never wanted it. Looking back it's because I detoxed off everything and the cravings went away. I had this mindset that I wanted to be the super successful poster child WLS patient. 

Ultimately that wasn't enough for me. I went back to the junk and it started a viscous cycle. 

It took me a 90 lb regain to get my crap together. I got desperate enough to walk into an Overeaters anonymous meeting and it has changed my life -mentally and physically. I choose to, one day at a time, abstain from all added sugars, white flour and personal triggers like popcorn and peanut butter. I have been doing it for over 5 months and I no longer deal with the mental battles over sugar and junk like cheez it's. I'm sane which is the most important result of OA but the almost 60 lbs I've lost has been a big added benefit. 

Some people can do moderation. Most of us cannot and that's why we ended up obese and needing WLS. You can always try it and see how it goes. If you want to chat about OA, let me know. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

juvebrad1
on 5/24/16 12:54 pm
VSG on 05/17/16

Thank you all for the replies. You have helped a lot. 

Most Active