Cold Feet???

SaffireSunshine
on 5/25/16 9:33 am
VSG on 06/08/16

My surgery date is quickly approaching.  I am nervous, happy, anxious, a little scared-feeling every type of emotion right now.  Reading the posts have been very helpful in calming my nerves a little bit. It has been a long road to get to this point as you all know.  Would love some support from anyone that has gone through the VSG surgery.  Thanks!

Momofthreeinwis
on 5/25/16 9:42 am
VSG on 05/04/16

I was TERRIFIED...thought about backing out...etc etc...but I did it.  Sleeved 5/4... I just decided to rip the band aid off...It is such a long process that you started for the right reasons.  Don't back out now.  You will regret it if you do..

SaffireSunshine
on 5/25/16 9:55 am
VSG on 06/08/16

I'm super excited, but that friend of mine called "anxiety," likes to play tricks on me lol.  But I am more than ready....no turning back for me.  Thank you for your words of support.

cappy11448
on 5/25/16 10:59 am

I was so scared of surgery that I waited until I was very obese and in my 60's before deciding to do it.  Then I found the surgery was so uneventful - for something that held me back for decades!  I had little pain, no nausea thanks to the strong anti-nausea meds I requested.  I was mostly back to functioning by 5 days after surgery, though I was tired and needed naps for months. 

Many people have similar experiences, so I hope yours will be easy, too.

The process of getting used to my new tummy was not fun, but not terrible.  I don't want to set expectations too high, because it was a lot to go thru, but it was so worth it. 

So here I am 3 years later, having lost 225 pounds,  maintaining at a normal BMI.  I've been traveling twice a year to make up for lost time.  I've fed kangaroos in Australia, seen koala bears in the wild,  visited some of the sites of the filming of the Lord of the Rings in New Zealand.  I've toured the hermitage in St. Petersburg, visited Jerusalem and Bethlehem, took a rooftop tour in Stockholm, climbed to the top of the Parthenon in Athens, and much, much more. 

I can keep up with even the strenuous tours.  My knees and back no longer hurt.  I've retired my cpap, and my energy is so much better.

I love my sleeve.  It was worth very bit of the struggle.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LizTlilwitchy
on 5/25/16 11:09 am - Cincinnati, OH
VSG on 05/06/16

I was TERRIFIED and SCARED and anxiety ridden, you name it!  Part of me was almost convinced that I wouldn't wake up from surgery.  I was so scared that I was having mild panic attacks for two to three weeks before surgery.  I came to these boards daily and researched and read hundreds of pages and posts and that made me feel better.  I was also on a really strict all liquid fast for two weeks before surgery to help shrink my liver.  That was tough, but I passed with flying colors!  The more I read and the closer to surgery I got, the more I thought, look at all those others who are doing this and succeeding and I know I have a top-notch surgical and support team.  I finally found the "I got this!" attitude, and everything got better from there.  I just had to know in my heart and mind that I was doing this for the right reasons and that I have what it takes to work really hard at this to get the weight off and keep this new healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life.

Best of luck to you!  I hope your surgery is smooth and we will be waiting to hear from you on the Looser's Bench! 

Liz T

5'7" HW: 280, Pre-Op:280, SW:262, M1:-24, M2: In Progress, CW:238  Surgery: VSG on 5/06/16

"Do it until you want to do it."  "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." ~ Maya Angelou

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/25/16 1:18 pm, edited 5/25/16 6:19 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Emotions are understandable.

What are you feeling emotions about, specifically the scared/anxious/nervous? The surgery? The post op recovery? Post op lifestyle?

Ive been going thru the gamete, though not significantly. My surgery is tomorrow morning, and as of now I'm pretty calm. Ive wrestled with wanting this surgery for the better part of a decade. Now, I'm finally doing it. Yesterday I got butterflies as I was at home and I remember stopping in my bathroom and looking at myself, asking myself if I'm doing the right thing. That once I do this, theres no undo. There is no quitting. That I better be damn sure this is what I want. I told myself it is... and that I'm doing it.

My strategy has been to think back to where I was a few months ago. What was it that made me decide I wanted this. What life event, picture, memory triggered it. Then reflect on that. 

You'll be fine. Whatever decision you make will be the right decision. Either you are ready for it, or you are not. There is nothing wrong with either. You may not get the desired results, but you will have made the correct decision for yourself at the current time.

See you on the losers bench!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Most Active