surprised.....so many "full fat" recipes..??

ejirish
on 5/29/16 3:53 pm

I have another week of full liquid ahead of me- but as I look ahead to puree/soft foods I'm very surprised about how many 'full fat' recipes are out there i.e. like on Pinterest- things like Ricotta bakes using normal Ricotta, mozzarella...and dont get me wrong, that sounds good to me- but I was thinking we'd have to convert to part skim, low fat, ect - is it ok b/c we can only eat so little?

Also, any advice or resources on serving sizes? How much can our sleeves handle?

Thanks in advance-

hollykim
on 5/29/16 4:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM Pacific Time, ejirish wrote:

I have another week of full liquid ahead of me- but as I look ahead to puree/soft foods I'm very surprised about how many 'full fat' recipes are out there i.e. like on Pinterest- things like Ricotta bakes using normal Ricotta, mozzarella...and dont get me wrong, that sounds good to me- but I was thinking we'd have to convert to part skim, low fat, ect - is it ok b/c we can only eat so little?

Also, any advice or resources on serving sizes? How much can our sleeves handle?

Thanks in advance-

the newest studies show that good fats are not our problem, carbs are. Eating high fat helps us be satiated more easily, helps with elimination. 

I eat no low fat or fat for at all and have lost 122# and maintained the loss for six years.

ejirish
on 5/29/16 5:00 pm

Thats fantastic news- and congrats on your success- amazing!

Jevelynne
on 5/29/16 7:07 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

I personally am on Fat Free Milk, will do 2% if I run out of mine and have to use some of hubby's milk... I try to do the 2% cheeses but hubby again get's regular and I don't worry much about that.  My best advice is do what YOU are comfortable with and is allowed via your surgeons nutritional guidelines.  Everyone's NUT is a little different so, just because there are recipes out there, doesn't mean it's allowed on your plan.  As an example, I've seen a lot of recipes made with peanut butter, under our NUT's guidelines she suggested using the P2B powder to cut the fat but get the flavor... I just don't use or do either.. no desire for it at this point and I am trying to give myself as much of a BOOST to lose as much as I can during this first year.

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/29/16 7:30 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I eat full fat, pretty much everything, except my powdered protein peanut butter, but it wasn't because of the fat, it was to cut back on the calories. One thing with low fat usually they have to add in sugar for flavor, extra sugar/carbs is what I try to avoid. Its worked well for me so far, but check with your Dr just in case. 

Our sleeves will take in a lot of food that is considered slider food, ricotta full fat or otherwise fits into that category, but you're newly sleeved so you'll probably fill up till you're healed up from surgery. Stay with your Drs plan for you, especially this early out, when you're healed up & your sleeve matures, stay away from the slider food, or only eat a pre measured amount to stay on track. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 5/30/16 7:01 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I have lost 200lbs eating full fat. As other have said, it helps you to feel satisfied. Reality is though I am not slathering butter on toast, eating fried foods so I am really not getting an overabundance of fat anyway. Watching the carbs is way more important...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cappy11448
on 5/30/16 8:55 am

Carbs are the real challenge.  First priority for me was keeping carbs low.  But I also watch calories and this means some care with fat content. 

So I will substitute plain greek yogurt for cream cheese in certain recipes.  I use pb2 for peanut butter because the taste is good, and it has a lot less fat. 

But I do use olive oil in cooking, and will add butter or salad dressings, or mayo if it doesn't blow the calorie count in a serving. 

In terms of serving size,  that varies a lot per person.  My sleeve was quite swollen and I could only get 1 to 1.5 ounces down until 2months post op.  Others can eat much more.  Eat slowly and watch for symptoms of fullness like runny nose, or sneezing (really!  unexpected, but that's how I could judge fullness.)

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Courage2Enjoy
on 5/30/16 9:30 am
VSG on 04/28/16

Agree w/ everyone on the full fat and watch out for carbs.  I bought the glad Tupperware that is 4 0z and i don't fill it up.  That is my serving size...for everything!  Good luck!

Eggface
on 5/30/16 10:02 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Fat = flavor... if I switched to low or horror no fat cheeses... I'd be a sad sad panda longing for my next meal and counting the minutes to have something with taste with full fat (in moderation) I get some yummy bites in an appropriate portion, I mindfully savor them and then move on to other fun things in my life. Satisfied happy panda ;) 

and... no fat/low fat usually make up for the lack of fat with fillers (carbs, chemicals) for stability... so what appears to be a healthier choice isn't usually. IMHO. 

Servings are something you want to always discuss with your Dr. that's why most bariatric recipe sites won't mention those... it's very different 7 weeks, 7 months, 7 years. 

Just my 2.5 (inflation) cents,

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Eggface
on 5/31/16 5:38 am - Sunny Southern, CA

P.S. There are some easy ways to cut fats that you don't recognize... I do Greek yogurt instead of mayo in all salads... you taste the stuff (chicken, tuna, crab, etc.) versus the greasy mayo... waaaay less fat and protein packed. 

Powdered Peanut Butter in shakes... easy one... tastes totally like peanut butter was added but 85-90% less fat. Now to eat by mouth (on apple slices, etc it's not the same go for the real deal.

Dressings... I'd rather have none now, they taste gloppy post WLS (and I was a Ranch addict)... I do either a Greek yogurt based homemade creations or just a drizzle of Balsamic vinegar. 

but cheese... full fat, in moderation, or nothing. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views