Kitchen Gadget Disease Chronicles: Air fryer and an upgraded Instant Pot

happyteacher
on 6/20/16 11:29 am

Ok, for any newbie out there be warned. I have an addiction to kitchen gadgets that is heriditary. I come from generations of gadget lovers. A new favorite for this post, and an update on my last favorite!

Update on Instant Pot: broke down and bought the Smart Instant Pot becuase I just couldn't resist playing with the scripts and trying sous vide. Come to find out, for those of you with the non-smart- you can sous vide some in your duo. If you have not tried a sous vide steak, I strongly encourage you to try! You get a absolutely perfect medium rare  steak every time. I am not good with meat either, and truly delicious. If interested let me know and I can post more about it. Bought the 2nd pot due to my first being tied up so much- especially on yogurt making days. 

My new favorite- an air fryer. Thought at first it might be a stupid purchase given I already have a NuWave. But nope. Use it constantly. Since losing my gall bladder I am not tolerating fat at all, and I bought it to help deal with that. Who knew how easy and useful it is! Yes, you can replicate fried foods nicely without all of the extra calories, but for most here that likely is not an on plan option typically for the weight loss phase. But it is true, cut up a potatoe, quick spray of Pam, and french fries. It does anything breaded crazy good- chicken nuggest, mozzerella sticks, that kind of thing. I make homemade chicken tenders now using a corn meal polenta type breading ( a little easier on the glycemic load) and they turn out great. Frozen chicken breast turns into something yummy with a quick dusiting of seasoning and less than 15 minutes. Clean up is fast. Overall, I love it. 

Anyone out there have a new favorite gadget?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anita
on 6/20/16 12:27 pm

where did you get these wonderful gadgets? I have a NuWave oven that I really like, and I'm only at two weeks out as of today, so am still on limited diet........but want to get ready for the future. Where do you get your recipes?

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 9:35 am

The air fryer was purchased on Amazon. It was a warehouse deal, so paid $99 (instead of $189 or so). The second air fryer, purchased for my daughter to take back to college, was a NuWave Brio purchased at Kohls for $70 (with Kohls cash triggered). My Philips is analog, and after using the digital Brio if I were to redo it I would only consider a digital display. On the other hand, the Brio has less wattage so it takes a smidge longer to cook. If you are cooking for a family, you will need the more expensive larger capacity versions.  The smaller size is really only good for 2 or so, obviously depending on what you cook.

The pressure cooker (bluetooth model) was also purchased at Kohls with the same 30% code, on sale, and triggering Kohls cash. The net cost on that dropped down to $120 instead of it normally running around $180-$200. This is the first kitchen gadget that I own that has an app. TOTALLY sold on that feature, and will purchase new gadgets that offer it. Super convenient to have the recipe on the phone, and programmed times done. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/20/16 12:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Upon your recommendation, I bought an Instant Pot.  I'm still learning how to use it.  I made chicken breasts in it a week ago, and now I realize you really need to season everything well or it tends to be bland.

I'm still loving my Krups egg cooker.  I made poached eggs in it this weekend and they were perfect!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Theduffman27
on 6/21/16 7:49 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I love my egg cooker. So easy and perfect every time!

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 9:37 am, edited 6/21/16 2:38 am

A poached egg cooker was my original kitchen gadget. Back when I got married I received one as a gift. I love poached eggs, so loved it. My hubby not so much. Too much space for something that he could do with a regular pan so it was never replaced. You IP can do a nice poach too if you have Ramekins or something similar. That way you still have the advantage of a timed cooking and no babysitting should your treasure break in the future.  Edited to add: I used this for hard boiled eggs for a while, because I would ALWAYS muck those up because I would forget about them when cooking. IP replaces this too. 

Anita
on 6/20/16 12:32 pm

is that the pressure cooker? I've never used one....my Mom had one of the old-fashioned ones with the thing on top that jiggled and made all sorts of noises.........she loved that thing!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

happyteacher
on 6/21/16 9:45 am

The Instant Pot is the pressure cooker. If you are a gadget girl type you will LOVE this! It is also absolutely ideal for use with our vsg diets. You cook everything lightening fast, minimal to no oils and crap. Whole food, paleo type friendly, etc. I use it to make greek yogurt, and saved so much in under a couple of months that it paid for it from that alone. I also found as soon as I got it we reduced going out to eat by 80% because it made cooking so simple. Literally just toss a couple of ingredients in, push a button, and eat dinner 20 minutes later. A real dinner too, not some crappy convenience food type dinner. 

Like Geek monster mentioned, there is a bit of a learning curve. More spices are used, takes a bit to get the hang of using it... but goodness you are rewarded with fast, easy, and healthy meals. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/16 2:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've got an Anova immersion circulator for sous vide. AMAZING! I've never managed to cook a decent steak in my life, but I nailed it with my first try. It's taken a bit of practice to get the air out of the bags all the way, but it's SO darn easy and I absolutely love it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Theduffman27
on 6/21/16 7:52 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Interesting, I am going to have to look this up. I have always been intrigued by sous vide and have never attempted it!

Most Active