Post Op Days First 2 weeks meal plan questions...

meredith034
on 6/25/16 4:34 pm
VSG on 07/14/16

So I went to a nutritional class today to discuss the process and what to expect post op. I am hoping to get some advice... 

For days 3-14 it says that i can have soft high protein meals in additional to the protein shakes. Now i can live on protein shakes - i actually don't mind drinking them. My issue is the thought of pureed food. I was thinking about doing like scrambled eggs and yogurt and maybe some ground up turkey/chicken - but once again i can't imagine pureeing that. 

Any suggestions on what you might have been told you can eat or what you have had would be very helpful. 

Thank you! 

White Dove
on 6/25/16 4:47 pm - Warren, OH

Pureed food sounded disgusting to me and I never did it.  I did ricotta cheese, green pea soup, applesauce and little else.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Elliot413
on 6/25/16 5:19 pm
VSG on 07/12/16

So...split pea soup will work?  What about ground nuts, or natural peanut butter?

White Dove
on 6/25/16 5:35 pm - Warren, OH

only if you enjoy pain, or if you are nuts.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

califsleevin
on 6/25/16 6:14 pm - CA

I never pureed anything (the pureed lettuce served in the hospital is enough to put one off of such things!) but wasn't really obliged to - soft proteins and such things were quite acceptable. Ground meats may or may not work with you that early - they don't always settle that well with some people (check with your doc as to whether they would be included as a "soft" protein). I got along fine with mashing up the chunks in some of the chunkier soups as I experimented with my tolerances, and the eggs (even boiled worked for me) and yogurts were early staples along with the shakes.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Starry Eyed
on 6/25/16 7:57 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

A staple for has been (and continues to be) the packets of tuna.  I love the sweet and spicy flavor!  I mix a half packet (1.3oz) with 1oz of hummus (a total of 10g protein!), but so soon out you may have to work up to that amount. Good luck!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

petra65
on 6/26/16 1:36 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I will be on liquids for 3-4 weeks post-op.  But things I am looking forward to eating when I get to purees and soft foods include tomato soup and black bean soup, cottage cheese(I could probably live on cottage cheese), refried beans, and ricotta cheese.  The tuna and hummus mixture sounds good.  I will have to keep that in mind too.  

meredith034
on 6/26/16 7:39 am
VSG on 07/14/16
trella72
on 6/26/16 10:20 am
VSG on 04/18/16

Here are a few of my favorite "meals"

triple zero Greek oikos yogurt

low fat cream of celery and mushroom soups that I "watered" down by adding almond milk and straining

home made vegetable beef soup puréed 

squash, sweet pot., corn & carotts cooked soft and pureed with almond milk

half frozen banana, 1 cup Greek yogurt, 4 frozen strawberries (or 1 tsp berry jelly) .. Pureed and then add a protein shake to that (chocolate or vanilla are great)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views