Pre-Op Diet

Elliot413
on 6/25/16 5:28 pm
VSG on 07/12/16

I don't want to sound whinny, but I am going to start my pre-op diet on Monday.  I am not looking forward to it.  I have all the groceries I need, but I am recovering from a bad Upper Respiratory Infection and still feel week.  The last thing I want to do is a regimented restrictive diet.  I was hoping to have a couple "last meals" before this time, but have been too sick.  I thought I would be in a better psychological position than this.

meredith034
on 6/25/16 5:50 pm
VSG on 07/14/16

I have been easing into my pre-op liquid diet. I started off with 1 a day slim fast and tomorrow i will try for 2 a days. Friday will be my "feast" day before i move into a full liquid diet. 

califsleevin
on 6/25/16 6:07 pm - CA

Try to bring your concerns up with your surgeon (or someone as close as possible to him) and see if there is some modification that can be done to accommodate their needs as well as yours. Many surgeons don't do these diets, and more are dropping or cutting back on them for your very concern - the last thing that they need is to have their patients in a weakened state from fasting for weeks ahead of time (and the matter that the "liver shrinking" rationale usually given for them doesn't seem to be what it was cracked up to be. Hopefully they won't say that they should push back your surgery so that you can recover more before weakening yourself again.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

VSGAmanda614
on 6/25/16 6:26 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

I was on mine for 8 days, I will be honest with you I ate scrambled eggs every other day and I still lost enough weight.. 

petra65
on 6/26/16 1:24 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

My surgeon does this for 5 days but that is whether you already lost a bunch of weight pre-op or you lost no weight so I'm not really sure the "liver shrinkage" rationale is the reason.  I think they do it make sure you are commited to making real lifestyle change that is going to be very difficult.  

I am on day 4 of my pre-op liquids and the first day was the hardest.  I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times.  It has gotten eaiser every day since.  There is also huge variation in the post-op diet requirements which also seems to defy logic but I again think it may not all be about mechanical issues.  I figure the more I lose at this stage when my motivation is really high the better because this is only going to get harder down the road.  Best of luck to you!

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Elliot413
on 6/26/16 5:32 am
VSG on 07/12/16

Thank you.  I wish you the best for your surgery.  My diet allows for one small balanced meal a day, 2 protein shakes and a piece of fruit.  It is not insurance mandated, because I am self-pay.  It's two weeks long.

petra65
on 6/26/16 6:19 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I'm self pay too.  This is a requirement of the surgeon, not the insurance.  You are lucky you get to eat 1 meal a day.  That would make it much more tolerable.  You will be fine.

FuturePinUp
on 6/27/16 7:46 am

Ditto to this. My 2-week diet was liquids ONLY. 1 cup of half-caf coffee with fat-free milk, water, low-carb shakes 4 times a day, a sugar-free ice pop a day, and 1 cup of fat-free broth. That's it. Every day. For 2 weeks. I would have killed to be able to have a meal a day, as well.

The two weeks weren't easy but definitely did wonders to set me up into the correct mind frame and proved to me that I COULD do this. j

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/26/16 10:26 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Talk to your Dr about your recovery from the infection, they might change your surgery date so that you'll have more time to heal first. Try not to think too much on the last meals thing cuz really it won't be your "last meal". Now you won't be able to technically eat as much as you did b4 surgery, but those foods will still be available to you afterwards, after you're healed.& it'll still be hard to say no to.

The head stuff, the cravings etc is such a pain in the ass to work thru. It might be a better idea to work thru it now rather than later. Plenty of people have had "food funerals", but omg, the carbs!, but yeah the pre op diet totally sucks a bag of donkey d*c**.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Elliot413
on 6/26/16 11:42 am
VSG on 07/12/16

You feel me.  I appreciate it.

Most Active