Going to Mexico even though I HAVE insurance. Am I crazy?

roudoudou
on 6/28/16 12:32 pm

Here's the story.  I am again (after years of considering) seriously considering WLS as the only option that is going to work for me. WLS is covered under my insurance plan, but I am so eager to have it done that I seriously do not want to jump through whatever hoops they will put me through.  My other major concern is that I do have binge eating disorder, and while I have thought long and hard about this and still believe WLS is a tool that will work for me, I am not sure I will be able to convince my insurance of that fact.

So, I'm considering Mexico (Dr. Quinones, specifically).  Is this nuts, considering that in theory my insurance could pay for me to have it done here (Seattle area)?  I realize I'm in a fortunate position which would allow me to pay for this myself, and am not trying to be frivolous with money, but also am so tired of dealing with obesity and am just ready to get this process started. 

Any thoughts?  Anyone been through something similar?

Grim_Traveller
on 6/28/16 12:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Most of us struggle with the decision for years. I see a lot of people that, once they decide on surgery, want it done right now, today. They get extremely impatient.

As with most things, I don't think being in a great rush is the best thing. Whether you decide to self pay in Mexico, or go through the insurance process at home, take a breath. Lay out a plan. Study. Read. See a therapist for eating issues. Be really, truly ready, so that when you do have surgery, you will maximize your success. Rushing may not be the best route to your ultimate goal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mmsmom
on 6/28/16 1:12 pm - Woburn, MA

go through your insurance and save your cash for a tummy tuck - and if you have that much extra cash, i could use a tummy tuck ;)

VSG on 04/28/2014

TexasTerritory
on 6/28/16 1:13 pm, edited 6/28/16 6:15 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Explore your binge eating before surgery. That mindset will effect the surgery.

acbbrown
on 6/28/16 1:14 pm - Granada Hills, CA

As someone who has BED, I can tell you rushing into surgery is absolutely the worst idea. I've been 420 lbs, I GET the desperation. But let me tell you what happens when you don't have your BED under control - I lost 230 lbs and then proceeded to gain 90lbs back. Very quickly. Even with most of my stomach gone. 

An eating disorder is a very complicated condition and having surgery does NOTHING to stop it. No, I can't eat a large pizza anymore but I can eat a large bag of candy - 4x a day if I want. I can binge on a lot of foods that aren't dense. I can't tell you enough that surgery didn't fix a damn thing for me. And I did my research. Got help. Got into therapy. Did an eating disorder treattment program. Lost 85lbs on my own before surgery and still...I couldn't win. 

Fast forward to now, through the help and miracles of Overeaters anonymous, I've been "binge free" for over 6 months. And if you struggle with BED, you know it's a miracle. I've managed to lose 60/90 lbs. 

In the moment, it seems like quicker is better. In the grand scheme of life, it doesn't take forever to jump through the hoops. And it gives you time to figure out how to arrest your disease. Unless you find a way to get the binge eating under control, and a workable method, WLS is a waste. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 6/28/16 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 1:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If a doctor in the US denies you for surgery because of your binge eating, it's because they think your health is not in an appropriate place to be successful with surgery. If you go to Mexico, that fact-- that you're not ready for WLS-- will not change.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/28/16 1:19 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You'll definitely have to practice patience while losing weight & yeah it sucks having to jump thru insurance hoops but hell you can use that money for plastics if you need it. I was only thinking that getting surgery here in the states would be good for followup appointments & heaven forbid, any complications you'd run into either right after surgery or years down the road.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Rachel27
on 6/28/16 2:37 pm
VSG on 07/11/16

I was going to go to Mexico but now I am self-paying for surgery in Florida and doesn't cost much more than Mexico

samtaylor258
on 7/2/16 6:16 am - stuart, fl

Where did you find in Florida that its the same price as in Mexico?

Most Active