1 week post surgery

randi0516
on 6/28/16 3:39 pm

So it has been only one week since my surgery and I don't see my doctor until the 5th of July. I still haven't had a bowel movement, not sure if that is normal but I figured since I am not eating anything there is nothing in there. I am getting better at being able to drink more water and protein shakes. I am not feeling much restriction. I can drink quite a bit at once and not even realize it. Eventually I will feel a tightness in my chest that is it. 

This is the weird part: with the fourth coming up everyone is coming over for a cook out and I am going to be preparing everything and the food smells so good. I want to eat everything!!! I know I can't eat a lot but I want real food. I was even dreaming of how to have a burger last night. (A little bit of ground beef in a lettuce wrap mmmm). Is that normal? The protein shakes aren't holding me, I still get that empty stomach feeling like I am sick. 

Any help would be great!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 3:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

For WEEKS after surgery, I would dream about food every night. Burgers, cheezy poofs, the whole deal. I figure my subconscious had a lot to deal with, and it had no bearing on what I would choose to put in my mouth :)

If your doctor's post-op plan doesn't have you cleared for "real food" by the 4th, do NOT pu**** and try some anyway. You're still healing and it's entirely possible to rupture your staple line if you get a piece of something solid in the wrong place.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Dcadaval
on 6/28/16 8:18 pm
VSG on 06/20/16

I agree with Julie, do not risk your success and more importantly your health by eating something you shouldn't so early on.  It seems to me you should still be on fluids. I dream about food too, something I've never done before and I'm only one week post op, but I wouldn't risk it.  

luvmypuggies
on 6/28/16 8:35 pm

Thinking and dreaming about food is pretty normal, but don't give in to any of that - just enjoy the image. :)

If, however, you think you are feeling physical hunger, you might want to check with your doc.  I didn't have this, but my understanding is that acid can mimic hunger - that's something your doc can help with. Most folks have an acid blocker prescribed post-op, and if you think it's not working they can give you another one to try.

Good luck on the 4th! Sounds like torture to me to have to cook for everyone else - I hope you're OK with it.  You're still a recent post-op so please don't push yourself too much, since your body still needs to rest and recover for a few more weeks.

Cherie K.
on 6/29/16 3:44 am - Hong Kong

I felt so nauseated from food looks and smells that I was deterred from eating at all... I think if you try to take a small bit of that food, you will learn your lesson quick and won't be craving it next time!

Most Active