Cravings

amcz82
on 6/28/16 7:52 pm
VSG on 05/31/16

Hi all! So I am almost 1 month out from my surgery. I go see my surgeon on Thursday. The past few days I have been having such bad cravings for regular food. Just like grilled cheese or chicken nuggets. I'm just wondering if this is normal because I feel like I'm going crazy with all of the food I can't eat right now.

Also, if all goes well at my appointment on Thursday, I'll move on to soft foods. What kind of things did you all eat for that stage!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and advice.

luvmypuggies
on 6/28/16 8:24 pm

Congrats on your surgery!  I think your cravings are totally normal and understandable after several weeks of liquids and mush. :)  Hang in there, it will pass.

For food suggestions at various stages, check out the blog "The World According to Eggface" - it's a fabulous resource.  Don't miss the popular Ricotta Bake - yum!

Cherie K.
on 6/29/16 3:41 am - Hong Kong

Yes, the ricotta bake (from The World According to Eggface) is YumYum but make sure your whole family is going to eat it because I was full after about 2 bites, our housekeeper ate a medium serving, I ate some leftovers over the next couple days until I was sick of it, then it sat in the refrigerator and went bad... what a waste! I should've scaled the recipe WAY back.  I also enjoyed steamed eggs (egg mixed with chicken broth in a bowl then put in steamer to cook), Refried beans blended with greek yogurt and melted cheese on top, White beans blended with pesto and greek yogurt, salmon... of course, all of these things are like 2 bites then full and a lot of waste if you don't eat leftovers everyday:(

katblue
on 6/29/16 5:35 am
VSG on 04/06/16

I have found that some of the foods that I REALLY liked just don't give me the same pleasure anymore.  I am almost 3 months out from surgery and am finding that my tastes are changing.  Now if I am out with my husband and he orders fries - I just take 1, maybe 2 of his and then really enjoy the salad I ordered (or at least a tiny portion I can consume).  

I used to love eggs - but now I struggle with eggs - just too gassy.  I do eat chicken nuggets I have a little bread but - VERY little.  I am still in reducing mode so I am very intentional about what I'm eating.  My daily goals are: calories 800-900 / protein 70-90+ / carbs 60 oz.  In order to meet those goals, I am naturally focused on lean meat, low fat cheese, and non starchy veges.  

I struggle most with late evening munching.  These are some of the strategies I have implemented:

• I keep the freezer stocked with sugar free popsicles (15 cal ea). I might have 3 a night
  • I found Yasso greek yogurt ice cream bars - DELISH!! - 100 calories / 5-6 gr of protein
  • When I know I'm just being ridiculous and have had my popsicles and greek yogurt - I parent myself and say NO, you've had enough - here have a glass of ice water.  That seems to work ;)

Good luck!

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

cappy11448
on 6/29/16 9:33 am

For me, cravings soar if I eat carbs.  Are you staying away from sugar?  Cutting carbs might help.

during soft foods, I would eat scrambled eggs, deviled eggs,  lunch meat, cheeses, tuna and chicken salads. 

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jennabee13
on 6/29/16 9:41 am

Cravings are normal and difficult. I found that as my diet progressed and I was able to try more foods, my body didn't actually tolerate them anymore. Almost 9 months post-op and bread still makes me vomit (feeling too full after just a few bites) and I lost my taste for sweets. The big part of this is re-training your brain to decrease cravings. There are foods that I look at now, and as much as I miss them, I say to myself that I just can't eat that anymore. Pizza? I just can't eat that anymore. Rice? I just can't eat that anymore. I am one pound from goal, I feel amazing, I look amazing, and there isn't a food out there that tastes better than I feel. Take things one day at a time.

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 6/29/16 9:52 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I am 4 years out and still want to shove food in my mouth at every given moment! But we need to stay on track and eat protein and fiber otherwise this journey will not work. Stay on track.  I remember eating scrambled eggs, lean sausages and lean hamburger when I was at my soft stage. Really small pieces and chew, chew chew! Good luck. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/29/16 12:01 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Unfortunately this sort of head hunger doesn't go away.  It's worse for you now because you're only one month post surgery.  Are you in a support group or seeing a therapist to help with your disordered eating?  It truly will help you down the road.

On a positive note, I used to be a junk food addict.  Now the stuff tastes like garbage to me.  I much prefer eating fresh food that I prepare rather than sodium laced, carb heavy fried foods.  It's all about changing your habits and perceptions.  Try to stay away from the crap during your honeymoon phase.  I repeatedly told myself that I'd eaten more cheeseburgers and fries (fill in the blank with your food of choice) in my life than the entire state of Vermont.  I'd done the damage to my body; now it's time to treat it right.

Check out Eggface's blog for food ideas.

I also bought the following book which has recipe ideas for all stages:

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views