Eyes on the Prize (but TBH this sucks)

jesuiscrystal
on 6/29/16 6:08 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Pre-op diet started yesterday, as did my period, so yay? I did okay until dinner when I became ravenously hungry. I ate an apple and went upstairs where I crashed for the remainder of the night so I wouldn't be tempted to eat anything. This morning I'm doing better. I'm hungry, but not unreasonably so. I've declared today a big cleaning day, so I can work upstairs and keep myself busy. Please tell me this gets easier soon. I'm determined to hang in there.

White Dove
on 6/29/16 6:18 am - Warren, OH

Most people say the first three days are the hardest.  Your body then adjusts to the absence of food and hunger goes away.  I dran**** water almost constantly.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 6/29/16 9:24 am

Once you get the carbs out of your system, the cravings will diminish.  I found the pre-surgery liquid diet to be the hardest part.  As you say, keep busy and keep your eye on the prize.  It will get better - not easy, but better.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

luvmypuggies
on 6/29/16 11:01 am

That's a super distraction strategy - just think of how pristine your home will be! :)   It's only for a few days, so stay strong and tough it out, and think of how different it will be after surgery.  I never/very rarely feel actual hunger anymore, and it's awesome.  Btw, if you run out of cleaning at your house, feel free to drop by mine! 

Hang in there - you're doing great!!!

jesuiscrystal
on 6/29/16 7:57 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Today was much better, but I am so gassy! Is that common? I'm not lactose intolerant. My protein shakes are Atkins Advantage and Carnation Breakfast (no-added-sugar).

luvmypuggies
on 6/30/16 9:20 pm

Get used to gas, gurgles, and bubbles! :)  For pre-op though, my guess is you're reacting to the change in diet - a lot of sugar-free stuff uses artificial sweeteners, and people often react to some of these with gas or other unpleasant digestive problems.  Sucralose (Splenda) used to give me grief, so I steered away from that one.  Also, if you're eating loads of veggies, that might do it as well.  Fun fun!! :)

jesuiscrystal
on 7/1/16 11:22 am - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

Day 4: I've just had lunch, and honestly had to remind myself that it was time to eat. I'm far from "great", but I'm far and above where I was on Monday evening (nearly in tears).

I'll be honest, I've always found myself thinking "suck it up" when people whined about the pre-op diet on these forums, but I was SO VERY WRONG. It is hard. One of the hardest things I've ever done. I really can't be prouder (or more shocked, frankly) that I've made it this far without cheating.

Baking my daughter's birthday cake yesterday was a real challenge. I had to rinse the dishes quickly and fight the urge to lick the batter from my fingers, but I did it (resist). 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views