Same day vsg surgery

AryaofWinterfell
on 6/30/16 12:08 pm

my doctor performs same day outpatient vsg surgery. You go home the same day. I havent seen this anywhere else and was wondering if anyone else has had this. Seems like an overnight would at least be required due to the nature of the surgery.  Anyone else have experience with this?

A

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/30/16 12:12 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Yikes.  I haven't heard of a VSG as an outpatient surgery.  Who is your surgeon?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Secrets224
on 6/30/16 12:22 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

I've never heard of a same day because before they release you to eat/drink anything, they have to do a barium swallow to make sure there is no staple line leak, or that it my understanding at least. 

Neesie57
on 6/30/16 11:06 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

My surgeon checked for leaks on the operating table, so I didn't need a swallow test, thank goodness.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Donna L.
on 6/30/16 12:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I've heard of a few surgeons doing this.  Mine requires 24 hours NPO (or did when I had surgery anyway), and most will not let you go home until you can drink so they will be sure you can stay hydrated.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Bufflehead
on 6/30/16 2:18 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My surgeon doesn't, but I have heard of several other people who had this done and were just fine. And not all surgeons make you go NPO and wait 24 hours for a leak test -- I was sipping liquids and eating jello within a couple of hours after surgery, as my surgeon does his leak testing while you are still under anesthesia and he can manipulate and check his work with his own eyes and hands. I am pretty sure your surgeon will do something similar in that regard.

Naomi S.
on 6/30/16 5:50 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I feel like I could have gone home the same day, but my surgery was also the first one of the day. I was drinking water and eating ice chips as soon as I was in my room, and my surgeon does not perform a leak test. I stayed overnight, and on the second day I mostly sat around waiting to be discharged. 

I think the biggest issue would be how long it takes until you can swallow pain pills so they can get you off the IV pain meds. 

I'm sure the responses here will help you gather a list of good questions to ask your surgeon. Good luck!

Naomi

petra65
on 6/30/16 6:04 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I just had mine and I can't imagine having been discharged the same day.  I had so much nausea and wretching for about 12 hours after surgery.  I would have immediately become dehydrated if I had come home.  I would just make sure he is flexible so that if things don't go as smoothly as planned, there is an option to stay until they are sure you can keep some liquids down.

CMR1075
on 6/30/16 7:05 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Mine was outpatient because my insurance allows it. Some insurances require a hospital stay. Honestly, I'm glad I was home afterwards because I've had hospital stays before and they NEVER let you sleep or relax lol. I was 100% ok at home, no complications and just slept a lot that day of surgery. I spent 6 days in the hospital from an emergency gall bladder surgery and inflamed pancreas that I wasn't recouping from and hated every minute of it so to me, outpatient was good news. As long as your surgeon's nurses are attentive and make sure you are good before you go then I wouldn't be worried. 

grayC
on 6/30/16 7:52 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

It's a relatively simple procedure,

you'll have more problems getting over the anesthesia ..

My dr gave up the leak test shortly after I had surgery

as a matter of fact, as I'm sitting here thinking back,

I didn't have the leak test do to an allergy..

LOVING your profile name BTW!

good Luck!!!

Most Active