What helps hydrate you even better than water?

Bufflehead
on 7/1/16 9:43 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Thought I'd throw this article out here since how to stay hydrated post-op is a frequent topic of conversation. "It has to be water, pure water, and nothing else or you'll get dehydrated." "It can be anything as long as no caffeine." "Alcohol will dehydrate you." etc. etc.

Well, according to a new study, not only can you keep yourself hydrated with coffee and beer should you so choose, there are fluids that do a better job at hydrating you than water does: milk, orange juice, and oral rehydration solutions such as pedialyte. And coffee, beer, and soda do just a good job of hydration as water does.

Happy reading -- and drinking!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/milk-and-other-surp rising-ways-to-stay-hydrated/

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/16 11:25 am

I've never really thought of the water so much for the hydration issues, but from what I understand pure water does the best job at ridding the body of the toxins, crap, by products, etc... of the broken down fat. That's why I always push the 8 glasses of water per day thing. Not so much for hydration, but to aid weight loss. I generally stop at 8 glasses and drink coffee and my protein drinks as additional liquid. 

good article! 

hollykim
on 7/1/16 12:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 1, 2016 at 6:25 PM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:

I've never really thought of the water so much for the hydration issues, but from what I understand pure water does the best job at ridding the body of the toxins, crap, by products, etc... of the broken down fat. That's why I always push the 8 glasses of water per day thing. Not so much for hydration, but to aid weight loss. I generally stop at 8 glasses and drink coffee and my protein drinks as additional liquid. 

good article! 

liquid is liquid to the body,it doesn't really matter after the body breaks it down.

DiaMon
on 7/1/16 2:10 pm, edited 7/1/16 7:11 am
VSG on 03/12/14

I love pure water, and coffee... Or Vitamin Water..... It all sounds good until you start thinking of all those extra calories you consume if you chose to hydrate with anything else that isn'****er.... I choose to consume my calories in food instead of drinking them.

Except for coffee... I love coffee, I wasn't a coffee person before surgery, but after it helped me (still helps) stay regular. 

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

acbbrown
on 7/1/16 3:57 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Nice article...as I hydrate with my beer in hand :)

hell - too much water and you can literally "dehydrate" yourself (I was drinking 150-200 oz and my labs came back completely depleted of sodium and potassium). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

jujuh
on 7/1/16 4:57 pm - Northern Cincinnati Suburb, OH
VSG on 06/03/16

I like Propel Zero. I usually do half that and half water for my daily goals.

Lisa F.
on 7/2/16 5:10 am
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm not sure about beer. Too much (as with any alcohol) causes dehydration, as your body pees more than usual. 

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

popbella
on 7/2/16 6:49 am
VSG on 06/17/16

I enjoy water, just as it is.  However, sometimes you just need something different.  I quite like the Crystal light packets added to my water bottles at times.  It just changes things up for the taste buds without added calories.

Most Active