Acid reflux issues

Whatnow0621
on 7/7/16 9:25 pm

So I discussed my issues with my doctor today and he explained that though I had not had any  symptoms prior to surgery  (06216-weight 248lbs) that my upper GI test showed that I had Acid reflux and that some people find that it's worse after surgery. I am going to add my prescription drugs to what I am doingbut does anyone else have any other ideas because he said that it may take up to a week before it starts to work and right now I am back to liquids because the food made me feel so bad. 

Sammy2929
on 7/8/16 5:21 am
VSG on 05/02/16

I have it too, but it's not as bad as when I first had surgery in May.  Follow your doctor's orders, take the medication and it will/should help a bunch.

My advice would be to only try one food item per day.  If it does not make the symptoms worse, try another the next day.  Sometimes slower is much better when introducing foods back into your system.  Things that never bothered you are going to and its a trial and error thing.

Lot's of people can't do milk products afterwards.  I can not tolerate tomato/tomato sauce of any kind so far so I just avoid it and will eventually try it again at a much later date.

Good luck!

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

acbbrown
on 7/8/16 11:05 am - Granada Hills, CA

I had acid post op. I had mild reflux but also just had a lot of acid in my tummy. I tried Prilosec. Fail. Nexium. Fail. Protonix. Failed. Finally 2.5-3 yrs after surgery I started dexilant (60 mg 1x a day). Miracle miracle miracle drug. Totally got my issues under control. But a bigger miracle when at 4 years out I was able to go off the dexilant and no issues. I do take tums or similar Pepcid type stuff once in a while. 

I'm just giving you my story so you have hope that this can be a "temporary" issue and just wait it out. I see a lot of people jump into revision very soon after VSG when it might not be totally necessary. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Anne O.
on 7/17/16 12:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Your story is giving me hope. I am only 17 days out of a sleeve surgery and the prilosec is not controlling the acid. I am hoping to get this under control with something else and later, be able to go off of the medication. 

Anne O.
on 7/23/16 6:41 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Update - my PCP gave me some dexilant samples. I took the first one today....omg, yes, that is soooo much better :)  She wants me to try it and then go back to prilosec and if that doesn't work she's going to refer me to a GI.  I really hope she lets me stay on dexilant for a while. 

Tracy D.
on 7/8/16 11:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm 3 years post-op and still deal with this.  Sometimes I have to resort back to prescription Protonix to get it under control but I primarily deal with it through lifesetyle changes: 

• Stop eating at least 2 hours before bedtime
  • No tomatoes, peppers or bananas for me
  • Drink warm liquids rather than cold liquids (for some reason cold liquids trigger it in me)
  • Make sure to eat small and eat slow.  Even now eating too fast or too much at one time will kick off a major bout of reflux

Good luck! And stay on liquids as long as you need to - you don't have to hurry the process to solids. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jevelynne
on 7/8/16 12:28 pm
VSG on 10/26/15

Pre-surgery I was diagnosed with it, but had only a little symptoms.  Post-op I had MAJOR symptoms for the first 3 months... but with taking regularly the zantac they gave me, it was mild and it eventually went away COMPLETELY!  I have had no issue the last 5 months at all!

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/8/16 12:32 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I never had acid reflex before surgery.  I took a prescription PPI for a year after surgery because my stomach felt sour and gross when I'd wake up in the morning.  It's somewhat resolved itself - I attribute it to my sleeve relaxing and not as much traffic congestion to cause the acid buildup. 

All I can suggest is that you eat even more slowly than you probably already are with tiny little bites.  This is not one of the fun things that can happen with a VSG, unfortunately.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active