HELLLPPP, I need to get back on track

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 5:45 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

Hey guys so im a year and 5 months out from Vsg. Ive been struggling to get past this 180 lbs barrier. Since my surgery I have lost 75 pounds and Ive been at the weight that my surgeon told me the surgery would leave me at (180), which of course we know with diet and exercise more is possible. At my last doctors appointment on June 14 I was 183 which is about normal for me because my weight fluctuates. But yesterday at my doctors appointment I weighed 191. This is the most that ive gained since surgery and its not a good feeling at all. Im very off track and I'm asking for help to get my weight back down, and to maintain a healthy lifestyle! My goal weight is 150. I recently transitioned into a vegetarian/pescetarian, and I would like you guys to give me a few ideas of how to get on track. Also I was never taught by my nutritionist how to measure my foods. How much should I be eating? How much and what should I be drinking? My new nutritionist told me no beans no corn no protein shakes no bread no sugars or sweets no rice. Im so lost guys.

Starry Eyed
on 7/19/16 6:13 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Did your NUT give you examples of what you should be eating (sample menu, list of foods, amounts)?  If not, I guess my approach would be to start simple- eat what you know you can eat (dense protein, cheese, eggs, yogurt, and veggies) and add in variations a little at a time. Frittatas are pretty easy to make and they freeze well. 

I know it's boring to eat the same thing day after day, but I've found that those are the times when I'm most on track.  

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Laura in Texas
on 7/19/16 7:03 am

Most successful VSGers seem to limit their calories to 800 and carbs to around 40 while trying to lose.  You can measure with measuring cups or a food scale. Myfitness pal and other food tracking sites will tell you how many calories are in a serving. You can also look at the daily food threads to see what others are eating.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 7:06 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

How much should I be eating at 1 serving? Is there a certain measurement that I should stick to or just stop when I feel full? My nutritionist wants me to eat small meals every 3 hours and drink in between and eat nothing after 6

White Dove
on 7/19/16 8:31 am - Warren, OH

I eat 1400 calories a day to maintain at 136 pounds.

I eat four meals of 200 calories each and two meals of 300 calories each.  I do eat a lot of beef and pork and know if would be almost impossible for me to do a vegetarian diet even with seafood.

When vegetarian diets became popular in the 1970's I watched the non-meat eaters gain 100 pounds quickly.  Our bodies are conditioned to functioning with a diet of animal flesh and it is tricky to get enough protein with a vegetarian diet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 7/19/16 9:03 am

I'm so glad you came back to the forum for support. 

I'm not at all vegetarian, so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be.  But I eat 3 to 4 meals a day and my meals consist of a protein source (for me chicken, fish, eggs, beef and pork, in that order of preference)  plus all the low carb veggies I can eat.  I make a lot of casseroles and one dish meals with these foods. 

I eat dense protein first, and fill up on veggies.  My meals have between 300 and 400 calories each.  So in maintenance I'll eat about 1200 to 1500 calories a day, and in weight loss, I try to keep it under 1000. 

I have a goal weight of 160, and when I hit 165, I go into weight loss again.  I try to eat well most days, but I allow cheats as long as I'm under 165. 

I do tend to gain, so I'm switching back to weight-loss-mode pretty regularly.  But this is working for me.

For me, Low Carb is essential.  I get terrible food cravings if I eat carbs regularly.  So I'd agree -- cut the sugar, bread, rise, sweets, etc.  I do eat winter squash, sweet potatoes, and other higher carb veggies occasionally when I'm below 165. 

I try not to drink my calories, but I do like a glass of wine occasionally, and I allow myself that luxury.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.  You can get to your goal weight if you keep you eyes on the target.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollykim
on 7/19/16 9:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:

Hey guys so im a year and 5 months out from Vsg. Ive been struggling to get past this 180 lbs barrier. Since my surgery I have lost 75 pounds and Ive been at the weight that my surgeon told me the surgery would leave me at (180), which of course we know with diet and exercise more is possible. At my last doctors appointment on June 14 I was 183 which is about normal for me because my weight fluctuates. But yesterday at my doctors appointment I weighed 191. This is the most that ive gained since surgery and its not a good feeling at all. Im very off track and I'm asking for help to get my weight back down, and to maintain a healthy lifestyle! My goal weight is 150. I recently transitioned into a vegetarian/pescetarian, and I would like you guys to give me a few ideas of how to get on track. Also I was never taught by my nutritionist how to measure my foods. How much should I be eating? How much and what should I be drinking? My new nutritionist told me no beans no corn no protein shakes no bread no sugars or sweets no rice. Im so lost guys.

what is a days menu look like now for you? You should be drinking 64+ounces of fluid,no fruit juices or soda etc. 

i think most RNY'ers eat 1/2 or 1 cup of food per meal or 2-3 ounces of lean protein. 

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 12:47 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On July 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

what is a days menu look like now for you? You should be drinking 64+ounces of fluid,no fruit juices or soda etc. 

i think most RNY'ers eat 1/2 or 1 cup of food per meal or 2-3 ounces of lean protein. 

Breakfast is usually a half cup of plain oatmeal with honey half a banana and a handful of blueberries.

a glass of oj

lunch tuna fish salad with caesar dressing and lettuce

dinner cooked meal maybe rice and shrimp with veggies, or cabbage stir fry with scallops

water in between. No where near 64 oz though I can say that. And my sweets cravings are terrible I munch a lot during the day

hollykim
on 7/19/16 1:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 19, 2016 at 7:47 PM Pacific Time, Queen_Q89 wrote:
On July 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:

Breakfast is usually a half cup of plain oatmeal with honey half a banana and a handful of blueberries.

a glass of oj

lunch tuna fish salad with caesar dressing and lettuce

dinner cooked meal maybe rice and shrimp with veggies, or cabbage stir fry with scallops

water in between. No where near 64 oz though I can say that. And my sweets cravings are terrible I munch a lot during the day

carbs like oatmeal, fruit,juice rice, and all other carbs will cause you to gain. Also, sweets are simply simple sugar which are also carbs.

carbs will also cause you to have cravings for more carbs and to be more hungry in general.

it is these things,esp munching sweets all day that is the problem and keeping you gaining and not losing.

i would stop all those carbs including the lettuce which does nothing for you in losing and start eating dense protein every meal, meat, chicken fish pork eggs etc and only non carbs vegetables. 

You ou need to get your water up also. 

Queen_Q89
on 7/19/16 2:33 pm - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

Sounds good except i dont eat meat

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 54 views