Still tired

aapayne13
on 7/20/16 8:10 am, edited 7/21/16 6:42 am

I am 16 months post op.  I am still struggling with very low energy.  I can't make it though my work day without a 30 min nap, even with that I can't tell a difference.  When I get home from work I take an hour nap and then sleep all night. 8-9 hours.  I want to workout but physically can't.  I eat on average 1200 calories a day.  I haven't been the best at my vitamins latley; just ordered them today.  This has been on going since surgery.  I'm wondering if anyone else is going though the same thing.

Thanks.

kyzze
on 7/20/16 8:20 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

You should get checked out by your primary care Doctor and have labs drawn. It could be a number of things, maybe your Iron is low or your thyroid. Make sure to take your vitamins also. Hope you can get to the root of the problem.

Kyzze

cappy11448
on 7/20/16 8:21 am

That's a long time to still be tired.  Have you had your blood work checked recently? It could be an iron deficiency or some vitamin deficiency.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

aapayne13
on 7/20/16 8:26 am

I have a appointment for my labs to be done.  Hopefully I can get some answers.  I'm going to get strict with my vitamins and see what happens. 

FuturePinUp
on 7/20/16 8:26 am

Definitely get some blood work done. It could very well signify a vitamin deficiency. B-12 deficiency is common after bariatric surgery and one of those side effects is low-energy. Could also be thyroid-related.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

White Dove
on 7/20/16 8:30 am - Warren, OH

Something is very wrong.  Please schedule a doctor visit and have blood tests done.  You may need prescription vitamins or may be suffering from diabetes or another disorder. 

There is no malabsorption with VSG and 1200 calories is plenty of food. 

I hope this is something that is easily correctable.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/20/16 1:34 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It's probably iron or B-12, especially since you aren't taking them regularly.  Get your labs and find out what's wrong.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

ImGoingToDisney
on 7/20/16 4:24 pm

I don't post often for the very issue you are having.  I am exhausted, I am 1 year post op.  All of my labs are great, I get in my vitamins, protein and plenty of water.  I have spoken with my GYN, GP, and Bariatric team and they all say they don't know why.  Before VSG I went to the gym 4-5 times a week and worked out for 2 hours, now I can barely walk a mile.  I lost 83 pounds down from 263 to 180 but my weight loss stopped about 8 months after surgery.  None of the doctor's can say why, my bariatric team actually said "we are sorry but this sometimes happens". That is their only "answer".  Right now they have me eating 4 ounces of protein every 3 hours.  The doctor has said "I'm sorry" about 500 times so far.  I have been told to eat more calories, eat less calories more carbs, less carbs but it is my lack of activity that is hampering my loss at this point,  I was a boundless energy fat person, worked 60 hours per week or  more, slept no more than 7 hours a night my only issue was I was size 18/20.  I go to work, come home, fix dinner for my family and I am done..  I am not depressed I am exhausted.  I went to a therapist who agreed I was not depressed I was exhausted.  I sometimes force myself to go to the gym and 1/4 of the workout I used to do exhausts me for days.  I tried walking a mile a day but it only caused me to be more exhausted.  I am sorry you are suffering the same  issue.  I was hoping it would get better the further along I got.  The night before my surgery I did a 3 hour workout and that was my last time being able to do that.  I now wear a 10/12 but I would be happy to go back to my 18/20  if I could get my energy back.  I have had every test known to man run and nothing shows up.  Keep me posted if you find anything out.  At this point I am willing to try anything to get my energy back.  Being such an energetic person I was looking forward to all the new energy everyone kept talking about but unfortunately for me I had the complete opposite experience.  I think people are afraid to post when things are not all neat and tidy but you and I can't be  the only people to experience this...

aapayne13
on 7/20/16 5:19 pm

It's very hard to find someone that has had the same issue.  I had my labs drawn last time everything was fine but I still felt exhausted.  I ha my surgery in Mexico everything went fine but I don't really know who to turn to. I hope I can get somewhere with my PCP.  Some days are good and some days are bad.  I haven't had any issues but the tiredness.  I go to the Dr. next week.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you for commenting.

ImGoingToDisney
on 7/20/16 5:30 pm

I am so sorry you have this issue too.  I had my surgery in the US at a top University Hospital...my surgeon actually teaches the procedure domestically and internationally so it can happen no matter where you have the surgery.  I had my last visit 2 weeks ago and they said sorry and they would see me in 6 months. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views