5 days to go! I have a few questions

Albatross
on 7/21/16 6:37 am

Hello All:

I am now 5 days out from surgery next Tuesday. I have a few questions pre op.

1. First, my friends are trying ot encourage me to come out this weekend to have one last regular meal. I've done well with the preop diet so I'm not too worried about that part. I also wouldn't be having a huge meal, it is just a meal at our favorite Italian restaurant. The thing is I've seen somewhere on the internet that you shouldn't have a real meal a few days before despite the diet only talking about changing to clear liquids the day before surgery. Do other folks here know when the last days of having a real meal should be without impacting the surgery? Thanks!
  2. As I mentioned, I've been doing well on the pre op diet both with food and exercise (swimming). I think my stomach has definitely changed. A week or so ago, I had a piece of meat that was a little bigger than what I normally was eating. I felt very full (I'm talking Thanksgiving style full) and my stomach was hurting. (Remember, I haven't even had surgery yet.) Then I take a lot of pills for a few autoimmune conditions. I don't get nauseous at all. However, recently, I have started getting an upset stomach when I was taking my vitamins too. The vitamins aren't a new part of the diet. I've always tried to remember taking vitamins. But I have vomited twice. I can't see how I'm going to be able to take the vitamins after surgery and my other meds after surgery. Is this normal for folks right before the surgery?

Thanks to everyone for your assistance! This forum is great.

mmsmom
on 7/21/16 6:42 am - Woburn, MA

I'm sorry to say your friends are not being your friends, they are being saboteurs!!  Stick to your preop and remember, at some point in the future you will be able to eat again, just not as much.  If you are really determined to have that last meal, call your nutritionist and discuss it with her/him.  Easter was right before my surgery and I was given permission to eat 3 oz of ham and vegetables about a week before surgery. 

The first few weeks after surgery just worry about getting hydrated and don't sweat the vitamins until you are feeling good.If you need meds, of course you have to take them.  good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Albatross
on 7/21/16 7:10 am

Thanks for the quick response. These are friends that have been incredibly supportive of my weight loss journey in the past (both through significant loss and gains). They would invite me to dinner parties and make dinner around my needs. I'm not quite ready to condemn them yet, though I understand what your saying. I just think they just aren't familiar with the dietary program. We used to go this restaurant as a special treat so I think they are just trying to take my mind of what's ahead me because I've become very anxious.

That being said, I do have many so-called friends I could condemn about my weight loss journey. Just not these friends.

rachelp
on 7/21/16 7:01 am
VSG on 08/01/16
  1. My surgeon said the preop diet is to shrink your liver. I only have to do it for 5 days but I'm allowed yogurt and creamed soups and even soups with small soft noodles but no chunky meat unless blended. He said one lady cheated and had a last meal and caused her liver to swell back up and her surgery took 2 hours longer than it should have. I would stick with your program. If you cheat it could derail everything you worked for so far. Your friends are encouraging bad habits unfortunately. It's not like you will never be able to go to that restaurant again. If it's a celebration thing then go celebrate with a sugar free snow cone or something.
  2. Vitamins might be irritating your stomach because of lack of food. Also, just because you "don't get nervous" doesn't mean that you don't get nervous. You may not feel it like others. Nerves will upset your stomach and cause simple things to hurt it.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Albatross
on 7/21/16 7:22 am

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I'm glad you mentioned that woman that cheated. I've been very good about the diet and don't want all that 4 weeks of work to be for naught. Because of my other health conditions, the less time I'm on the operating table the better. Even the doctor told me that, so that automatically makes my decision for me. (I'm a little surprised that your pre-op diet is so short.)

These particular friends I believe are just trying help and to occupy my mind. I have other friends that are really not helpful and I've been distancing myself from them.

Anyway, I hadn't thought about the empty stomach thing. I never thought about that because it hasn't been an issue before. Now my stomach is constantly empty except for protein shakes and water (or a frozen meal in the evening). I will try taking them with food.

Thanks again!

idnas
on 7/21/16 7:50 am
VSG on 08/05/16

Hey, I know that each doctor has their own plan as far as what they want you to eat for the 2 pre-op weeks. Mine does not want me on an all liquid or shake diet. His office does lean meat and veggies, with a total carb count of no more than 40 carbs per day all the way up to the day before surgery, which he said do not go eat a heavy meal as a "last supper" on that day. As far as the vitamins, if I don't take them with food they nauseate me too. My next purchase will probably be the patch that I've read about. Good luck to you! 

HW: 312 SW: 294 CW: 225

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/21/16 8:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every surgeon is different in regards to a pre-op diet. Some people do 2 weeks of liquids only, others (like me) only get "don't eat after 8pm the night before." I'd suggest calling your surgeon just to double-check.

One of the hardest things about life post-surgery, especially right away, is navigating social stuff when you can't eat much. Your friends will need to accept this. Plenty of folks have a "food funeral" before heading in for surgery, but the idea of using food as a reward is something many of us need to let go of. Could you do some sort of other get-together? Go out to a movie or get pedicures? You can tell them that you'll be sore and tired after surgery, so you'd rather spend some time with them that way.

What kind of vitamins are you taking? Multis or other iron/calcium/etc.? Pills/chewables/gummies? Are the same type as you've been on before? Some folks need to switch to chewable vitamins soon post-op (NOT Flintstones!), so maybe your stomach is just nervous or upset. This is also a great question for your surgeon-- you can just call the office and I bet a nurse or PA could help over the phone.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Albatross
on 7/21/16 10:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions. As far as Vitamins, I was doing Centrum--that originally started the nausea out of the blue and then I switched to the chewable Unjury that my nutritionist recommended. So they both caused the nausea.

Oh well, I'll try taking it with some food from now on.

honeywell
on 7/21/16 8:59 am

I'll be very honest with you, I was on a 2 week high protein diet, then clear liquids for 3 days before surgery. The night before I started clear liquids, I had a "goodbye dinner" with my family. I may be the minority, but I don't see any harm in it. My surgery was textbook. No issues what-so-ever. I just don't think one meal is going to undo everything. But, this is purely my opinion! 

Kudzu
on 7/21/16 10:13 am
VSG on 07/28/16

My daughter-in-law called me last night and invited me over for a "last" dinner on Sunday (my surgery will be next Thursday). My preop diet is suppose to be 7 days of liquids; protein shakes, water, jello, no sugar added juices, coffee no cream, sugar free popcicles, etc. I started this a week early because I needed a 'practice' week due to fear of failure when the real deal was going on. I have dreamed for months about what my 'last supper' would be and I chose liquids. I may be crazy, but I need to step into the first phase of my new life feeling I succeeded and not worry as I'm being placed on an operating table "did I screw this up by cheating??" Anyway, I say this to get to the point that I declined; which was a very huge victory for me in itself. My husband is also an avid golfer and there is a big event this weekend. He needs a covered  dish prepared for it and asked me if I would make something. I then asked the daughter-in-law if she'd make a dish for Dad instead;  she agreed and was thrilled to 'help' me in this way instead of preparing my last meal for me. Family and friends just try to show their support in the way they know how, sometimes not realizing they are sabotaging you in the process, but my life is changing, not theirs and I need to find my own ways to work through that. I think it's okay to say no. Good luck with your journey. :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views