Portion size info needed

Whatnow0621
on 7/23/16 5:41 pm

When you eat how much are you able to eat? If I eat 4 bites I'm stuffed is that normal?  How long will it last?  My surgery was 06/21 and I am in a stall mainly because I keep having issues with intake, drinking and eating. I'm down 32 lbs but still not feeling like I made the best decision for me though it's to late now. I'm going back to work on 08/03 and this intake issue has me worried. 

yvonnef1964
on 7/23/16 6:03 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I could eat 1/4 cup of food that early out. Are you measuring your food? I had to eat six times a day.

Anne O.
on 7/23/16 6:09 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Do you eat six times a day now? How much can you eat at one time?

Anne O.
on 7/23/16 6:09 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I'm going to respond here, not because I have an answer for you, but because I have the same question.

I had surgery on 6/30 and am concerned about the super small amount I can eat. It's insane! 3 to 4 bites at a time? and I'm on soft food. If that doesn't change then this sleeve is just a way to slowly starve myself. Or, I'll have to take all of my meals in liquid form. Or, I'm going to have to put a bite of food in my mouth every hour?

I've been tracking my food intake and with two protein shakes a day (320 calories) and 3 or 4 bites of food at three "meals" (~300 calories), I'm averaging 600 calories on a good day. That can't be healthy. Sure, I could get in more calories by drinking milkshakes, but that's not healthy either. Will there ever be enough room in there to get protein from just food? Or will have I have drink protein shakes for the rest of my life? It makes me want to cry sometimes. What have I done to myself?

-Anne

Whatnow0621
on 7/23/16 6:28 pm

Anne, that's my worry because I absolutely hate the protein shakes. I can't drink them but I make myself drink at least one a day so that I get some. I am eating only protein foods right now. Soft meats, fish and shrimp are my go to but I know that I am going to get tired of that soon. I am also wondering if I will ever be able to eat sides again because I don't have enough room for that rightnow. I'm so hungry that I am dreaming about food. 

hollykim
on 7/23/16 6:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 24, 2016 at 1:09 AM Pacific Time, Anne O. wrote:

I'm going to respond here, not because I have an answer for you, but because I have the same question.

I had surgery on 6/30 and am concerned about the super small amount I can eat. It's insane! 3 to 4 bites at a time? and I'm on soft food. If that doesn't change then this sleeve is just a way to slowly starve myself. Or, I'll have to take all of my meals in liquid form. Or, I'm going to have to put a bite of food in my mouth every hour?

I've been tracking my food intake and with two protein shakes a day (320 calories) and 3 or 4 bites of food at three "meals" (~300 calories), I'm averaging 600 calories on a good day. That can't be healthy. Sure, I could get in more calories by drinking milkshakes, but that's not healthy either. Will there ever be enough room in there to get protein from just food? Or will have I have drink protein shakes for the rest of my life? It makes me want to cry sometimes. What have I done to myself?

-Anne

yYes, 600 calories a day is perfectly healthy as long as you have stored body fat. You won't starve as long as you have stored fat for the body to break down and use for fuel. Breaking down the fat and using it,is what causes weight loss.

you don't have to eat every. Hour,but I certainly,still,at 6 years. Out, eat every 3 hours,whether I want to or not. I certainly am not starving and my labs are excellent. 

Your sleeve will nuaturally enlarge some at about  a year out,and you should be able to eat all you need in real food by then. I eat protein,vegetables,salads,just not necessarily all at the same meal. I only have a protein shake if I want one and have no problems.

hollykim
on 7/23/16 6:42 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 24, 2016 at 12:41 AM Pacific Time, Whatnow0621 wrote:

When you eat how much are you able to eat? If I eat 4 bites I'm stuffed is that normal?  How long will it last?  My surgery was 06/21 and I am in a stall mainly because I keep having issues with intake, drinking and eating. I'm down 32 lbs but still not feeling like I made the best decision for me though it's to late now. I'm going back to work on 08/03 and this intake issue has me worried. 

yes,it is normal,especially if you are eating dance protein.

your sleeve will naturally,increase a little in size by about a year out. You will be able to eat more then so enjoy this part while you can and make the most of it.

frisco
on 7/23/16 6:52 pm

Your doing just fine at 4 weeks out.

The people you have to worry about are the ones at 4 weeks out already eating 4oz. of chicken.

At 6 weeks out I was eating a half of a scrambled egg with a daily calorie intake of about 3-400.

Don't worry about small intake at this point, your body is feeding off of stored fat...... that's the point, burning off stored fat!

Be protein forward and keep your fluids up !

I lost 200lbs. about 6 years ago and have to remind myself that I made the best decision of my life.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mylastchance
on 7/23/16 7:34 pm

You seem to be doing good. Keep on plan.  Get in your fluids,  protein first,  keep up with some walking.  Don't compare yourself with others,  we are all different and what is good for one might not be so great for another.  Stalls....we all have them,  sometimes that's when our body is losing inches. 

Hopefully you are keeping track of your measurements, because that is fun to see those numbers disappear too.  We all want that instant gratification .... even after WLS we have to wait and see what tomorrow....next week....next month brings us.

Relax,  don't think about how you feel that this wasn't the best decision for you,  be positive and have faith you have made the best decision for you.  You will look back on these days and you'll realize you did.  When was the last time you lost 32 lbs in a month....yeah there you go....see it is a good thing and will only get better.

Eat small amounts, more often get in your protein and fluids and you are going to be fine.

Looking forward to some happy stories from you soon.  Good luck,  I'll be rooting for you. 

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Paula1965
on 7/23/16 8:05 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

What you are doing sounds about right for just over 1 month out from surgery. I was still on liquids at that point (full liquids by then) and was probably 400-600 calories a day. Your sleeve will "mature" over time and you will be able to eat more. I still get full with very little food if I stick to dense protein. I served myself about 1 1/2 cups of food for dinner tonight (1 C grilled sweet and sour shrimp with red peppers, onions, pineapple with a bit of sweet and sour sauce and a 1/2 C of brown rice and was only able to eat about 1 C of the food). I am a year and almost 4 months out and have been at goal for 7 1/2 months.

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Most Active