Gallbladder stones and nodule

Cheshire54
on 7/27/16 2:38 pm

I got my sleeve around 20 mos ago.  Been having weird pains and many tests.  MRI is now showing stones in my gallbladder and they also found a nodule.  Recommendation from radiologist said "This should be followed yearly by ultrasound, if not resected."  They are not sure what this nodule is.  I am just wondering if this is a common problem after VSG surgery.  I am all for them removing my gallbladder so as to take care of both problems.  Anyone else have this happen to them?

Also, during a CT scan they found a cyst (lesion) on my pancreas.  MRI has not been able to give them a clear diagnosis and now they are wanting to do an endoscopic ultrasound.  This is what it said about that:  "Suggest referral to gastroenterology for further assessment.  It's possible this would be amenable to endoscopic ultrasound assessment, though this may be difficult given the patient's gastric sleeve gastrectomy".   I am waiting to hear back on whether they will do this test now.  Does the VSG surgery have anything at all to do with what is now happening with my pancreas?

hollykim
on 7/27/16 5:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 27, 2016 at 9:38 PM Pacific Time, Cheshire54 wrote:

I got my sleeve around 20 mos ago.  Been having weird pains and many tests.  MRI is now showing stones in my gallbladder and they also found a nodule.  Recommendation from radiologist said "This should be followed yearly by ultrasound, if not resected."  They are not sure what this nodule is.  I am just wondering if this is a common problem after VSG surgery.  I am all for them removing my gallbladder so as to take care of both problems.  Anyone else have this happen to them?

Also, during a CT scan they found a cyst (lesion) on my pancreas.  MRI has not been able to give them a clear diagnosis and now they are wanting to do an endoscopic ultrasound.  This is what it said about that:  "Suggest referral to gastroenterology for further assessment.  It's possible this would be amenable to endoscopic ultrasound assessment, though this may be difficult given the patient's gastric sleeve gastrectomy".   I am waiting to hear back on whether they will do this test now.  Does the VSG surgery have anything at all to do with what is now happening with my pancreas?

gallstones are possible after any massive weight loss, not necessarily just for ppl who have had WLS. The nodule  on your gallbladder, if it was me I ,would be having it taken out and checked ( resected), for cancer. 

The pancreas,I have not heard of anyone having a cyst  related to WLS, but I would have it checked also.

Cheshire54
on 7/27/16 7:30 pm, edited 7/27/16 12:31 pm

All of this will be checked out, of course.  I just hope they can do the endoscopic ultrasound with the sleeve.  Should know by Friday.  As far as the gallbladder is concerned, I figure if they remove it then it takes care of the nodule and the stones.  

They also found a small abdominal wall hernia extending to the right rectus muscle above the level of the belly button.  I'm wondering if the sleeve surgery could have caused this as I did have an excision right in that area.  My doc is out of town and I just found out all of this today so I have no answers yet.  All I know at this point is they want to do the EUS.

Another thing they found is a lipoma on my right kidney.

Funny thing is, I've only lost about 60 lbs.  Is that considered like enough to cause the gallbladder problems?  

I've been so healthy since the surgery and got rid of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, asthma and even got off meds for depression and anxiety.  I do still have issues with GERD but prilosec is the only medication I am on now.  How can I have gotten so healthy and yet this stuff has been brewing inside?  UGH!

hollykim
on 7/27/16 7:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 28, 2016 at 2:30 AM Pacific Time, Cheshire54 wrote:

All of this will be checked out, of course.  I just hope they can do the endoscopic ultrasound with the sleeve.  Should know by Friday.  As far as the gallbladder is concerned, I figure if they remove it then it takes care of the nodule and the stones.  

They also found a small abdominal wall hernia extending to the right rectus muscle above the level of the belly button.  I'm wondering if the sleeve surgery could have caused this as I did have an excision right in that area.  My doc is out of town and I just found out all of this today so I have no answers yet.  All I know at this point is they want to do the EUS.

Another thing they found is a lipoma on my right kidney.

Funny thing is, I've only lost about 60 lbs.  Is that considered like enough to cause the gallbladder problems?  

I've been so healthy since the surgery and got rid of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, asthma and even got off meds for depression and anxiety.  I do still have issues with GERD but prilosec is the only medication I am on now.  How can I have gotten so healthy and yet this stuff has been brewing inside?  UGH!

yes,60 # is more than enough. Hernias after aNy abdominal surgery are not uncommon.  I have had a couple of scopes since my sleeve and as long as the gastro is aware of it ,it should be fine.

a lipoma is just fatty tissue and is usually not a problem. 

The gallbladder could have been going bad slowly,building up stones slowly,even before WLS. The weight loss may have speeded if up a bit. 

Ls isnoy going to stop everything from happening to us. But when things do happen,we will certainly fare better treating them. Than we would have while morbidly obese.

Cheshire54
on 7/28/16 8:43 am

A agree Holly.  I actually feel more comfortable even being examined now then when I weighed 60 lbs more!  I have a doc appt tomorrow to discuss all of this.  I know the lipoma is a fatty tumor and it only needs to be watched because if it gets too large there is a risk for bleeding.  Not too worried about this.  

Thanks for the feedback!

emelar
on 7/28/16 11:06 am - TX

Gallbladders tend to go wonky following any significant weight loss, whether the result of surgery or not.  My went out 20 years ago after I lost a bunch of weight.

If they're going to take your gallbladder out, can't they check whatever's on the liver/pancreas then?  All those organs sit right on top of each other.

Tracy D.
on 7/28/16 1:18 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My hubby is 27 months post-op from VSG and will be having his gallbladder removed in a couple weeks.  Fortunately, I had mine removed long before VSG.  Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be in the same boat as him! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

happyteacher
on 7/29/16 6:43 am

I had the gallbladder taken out 7 months ago. They tried to put me on meds to help protect the gallbladder, but I didn't tolerate them (allergic). I also had a hernia very near the belly button repaired back when I had a TT. Get a good gastro doc- they will know what to do. It is pretty routine overall. I have a history of cancer so I am always super careful to check out any growths, but don't be too scared of those... many times they are benign. I have not dealt with a cyst issue, but do know the gallbladder can impact the pancreas. Just follow up and don't doddle, as you don't want the gallbladder to rupture or something nasty like that. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cheshire54
on 7/29/16 7:35 am

Thank you!  

Most Active