1 week post op and doing great but....

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 8:16 pm

I'M STARVING. Like stomach cramping hunger. I'm getting my protein and fluids down just fine. I just don't know if I can push through another 9 days on clear fluids alone. How did y'all survive this without going batsh*t crazy? This is for those that actually HAD hunger pains after aurgery, not the lucky ones that werent hungry.

Anita
on 7/27/16 9:38 pm

Hi....sorry that you're feeling hunger......it will subside soon.....BUT....since it's a big problem and frustration NOW, call your doctor first thing tomorrow and ask if you can move forward to protein drinks.....maybe you can water them down a little bit. Just that little bit of substance in the liquid should be enough to take the edge off....just be careful to not over do it.....listen to your stomach and as soon as it tells you that you've had enough...STOP.....our minds take some time to catch up with what our stomachs are telling us and that one extra mouthful will make you uncomfortable.

That being said....welcome to the Loser's Bench. Make certain you stay hydrated.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 9:48 pm, edited 7/27/16 2:49 pm

Ty. I am well hydrated, I make sure of that. Im drinking 80-90oz  of liquid a day with water, diluted juice, broth and protein shakes. I did give in a couple hours ago and decided I wanted some chicken noodle soup strained. It helped greatly so far.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/16 1:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Most often, that feeling is acid masquerading as hunger. Are you on a PPI? Even if you are, you might need your dose adjusted, or try a different med. Some people have to experiment with several before they find one that works.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

McLassie
on 7/28/16 7:29 am
VSG on 07/25/16

I'm having the same experience. I'm post-op day 3 (had surgery Monday) and am on clear liquids until Monday, when I can advance to fulls. I'm not sure if it's hunger or cramps, but it feels exactly like hunger and goes away for awhile after my stomach growls. I got over 70 ounces of liquids in yesterday but protein is hard with clear liquids. I've been putting collagen protein powder in broth but my numbers are very low. Can't wait until Monday when I can have a Premiere Protein.

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 5:30 pm

Congrats on the VSG! Sounds like we are in the same boat. I wish you well on your journey. We both got this. I'm just all over the place with moods because of the hunger. I'm sure it'll pass as will yours. Getting your fluids in is great. Keep up the good work and hopefully Monday will whiz on up. 

McLassie
on 7/28/16 6:19 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

Thanks! You're right, we got this! Soon we will be sipping on full liquid protein drinks, feeling like a million bucks. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 2:52 pm

Exactly lol

InItToWinIt
on 7/28/16 9:04 pm

I'm three weeks out and experienced the same thing as you when I was on liquids.  I made sure I took an acid reducer each am and what really helped me was the sugar free popsicles.  Made it feel like I was eating something - chewing the ice really helped - but counted towards my liquid intake count. Congratulations on the surgery. Hope the hunger pains subside soon for you.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 2:48 pm

Ty. As long as I know this will pass I guess ill make it through. 

Most Active