Protein Shakes

GerryF2003
on 7/30/16 8:34 am
RNY on 12/11/17

I'm on day 3 of pre-op and I 'm supposed to have 4 protein shakes a day. The problem is that they are sooo nasty that as soon as I choke some down it tries to come right back up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm on the Proti Max, chocolate flavored kind. ð??-

ttfan
on 7/30/16 10:27 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I like the Unjury no flavor protein and add it to whatever I want for a drink

Anne O.
on 7/30/16 3:52 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

and Genepro. I just got some and I love it. It's only 1 tblsp per serving and 30 grams of protein each serving.  I can add a scoop to my morning tea or juice and I'm already up 30 grams of protein. Later, when you are on full liquids and soft foods you can even put it in some yogurt or sf pudding. 

I add it to whatever I'm drinking and mix it up well with my hand blender so there are no lumps. I can't taste it at all. 

I've also tried the syntrax unflavored nectar. It's a bigger scoop and only 10 grams of protein per scoop. That one has a little more taste and makes the water a little cloudier than the genepro, but it's good. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/16 9:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Genepro is bunk. There's no physical way to get that much protein in 1T. You're best finding something else.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 7/30/16 11:47 am - Warren, OH

At three days ore-op you would be doing good to have one a day.  Drink an ounce or so at a time and wait an hour and try another ounce.  Your new sleeve is swollen and you can only handle a small amount of liquid at a time.  When you are able to keep one ounce down, then try two. 

It is more important now to ge****er in than protein.  I am almost nine years out and could not handle four shakes a day.

If you can't keep an ounce down, then try a different shake.  I started with Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added and added a scoop of unflavored protein to it.  It took me all day to finish 8 ounces at first.

Your swelling will go down and you will be able to drink more at a time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

McLassie
on 7/30/16 6:41 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

Great advice for post-op, but Gerry is still pre-op (no sleeve yet). 

White Dove
on 7/31/16 6:59 am - Warren, OH

Thanks, I guess my brain was not functioning correctly when I wrote that reply.

McLassie
on 7/31/16 8:23 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Oh, I totally understand. We all have those days. :)

GerryF2003
on 7/31/16 6:55 am
RNY on 12/11/17

I haven't been sleeved yet, this is part of my pre-op diet.

White Dove
on 7/31/16 6:58 am - Warren, OH

McLassie pointed that out to me too.  Sorry, my brain must have been on vacation when I posted that reply.

Most Active