First bariatric doctors visit!

MTS31801
on 8/23/16 5:02 pm

Ok. Yesterday I traveled a hundred plus miles and had my first bariatric doctors visit. My Doctor was nice and told me that there were steps I had to take before having the surgery which is required by my insurance company and it will take about 6 months. First I have to find a Nutritionist and schedule six consecutive appointments one for each month, at five months I need to get a psychological exam, I need to lose five percent of my weight with in this six month period. I also need to get blood work done and consent from my cardiologist. 

So my journey begins. I wanted to get a switch done but he said I need to have the sleeve done first, If I need a revision then he will consider a switch or a by pass. I am just so happy about my journey beginning!

White Dove
on 8/23/16 5:10 pm - Warren, OH

The sleeve is the first section of a DS, so it sounds like he is making a good decision.  The time will go quickly.  One thing I will caution you about is that most health insurances make changes in October for the following year.  Since you can't get your surgery done this year, try to be sure that you will still have bariatric coverage next year.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

bandgirl
on 8/24/16 5:29 am

Thank you for this info.  My surgery should be around Nov I will check into this. 

MTS31801
on 8/24/16 8:33 am

Thank you White Dove I will look into it!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/16 5:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you are thinking about doing a DS later, you should also be aware that more and more insurance companies are limiting weight loss surgeries to one per lifetime. If you ever decided to finish the DS at a later time, you could find it wouldn't be covered.

Having said that, VSG is plenty powerful enough for you to reach your weight loss goal, provided you do your part. A DS is no guarantee you will lose what you want if you don't change your eating habits.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MTS31801
on 8/24/16 8:31 am

My Doctor is in Baltimore at John Hopkins Bariatric. I live on the eastern shore of Maryland. My insurance is through Medicaid and will only allow surgery through there hospital and doctors. If I go to any other doctor or hospital they won't pay. I'm no upset over the Hospital because it's Johns Hopkins Bariatric. They will only do Gastric sleeves, Lap bands and gastric bypass. I am on SSD and have no savings so I can't afford to pay out of pocket. Doctor said I am also high risk due to my health conditions.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/24/16 9:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

DS doctors are rare, and getting more rare. There isn't a single DS surgeon in Boston, or all of New England.

You can do great with the sleeve, or bypass. Avoid the band like the plague.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

bandgirl
on 8/24/16 5:30 am

Yay so excited for you.  I'm also in the process.  I'm really liking the low carb and it is not hard getting all the testing done.  Why such a long drive how what city is your doctor in?

MTS31801
on 8/24/16 8:41 am

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and my doctor is in Baltimore  at Johns Hopkins Bariatric. Some of the advise I'm getting is great!

tlh4life
on 8/24/16 6:55 am
VSG on 04/11/17

We're in the same boat! My first consult with a bariatric surgeon is today. I have to do the 6 months of nutrition counseling as well. Best of luck to you!

Most Active