Pasties- if you are from Michigan you know what I am talking about :)

happyteacher
on 9/25/16 10:56 am

Here in the upper peninsula of Michigan they make pasties. It is sort of like a hot pocket filled with meat, potatoe, rutabega, carrot, and seasoning. I like it covered in gravy best, but many prefer a good one without gravy and sometimes they use ketchup. Anyway, I love them but even in maintenance the calories are horrible. 

Hubby spent the day making them for the freezer. He makes half of them vegetarian for me (no meat, Loma Linda vege burger instead) and they are awesome! He had a few cups of the filling left over, so I tossed it in my Instant Pot pressure cooker to see if I could do an unstuffed version and save just a crap ton of calories. It turned out pretty interesting and I would do it again, so I thought I would post in case there is any interest out there. It is not for everyone, but if it sounds good to you then you would probably like it. You can replace the vege burger with diced (small) meat or ground meat. Just brown it first. 

• 1 cup, chopped, Onions, raw
  • 1 cup chopped, Celery, raw
  • 1 cup, Chicken Broth
  • 0.25 tsp(s), Salt and Pepper
  • 1 tbsp, Rosemary, Sage- fresh
  • 1 TB Chives, raw
  • 0.25 cup, Parsley, fresh
  • 1.50 cup chopped, Carrots, raw
  • 1.50 cup  diced raw (no added fat), Rutabega
  • 1 container (2.5 cups ea.), Vege-burger
  • 5 potatoes 110g, Yellow Baby Potatoes diced small like frozen cubed potato- 
  • 1.5 cup diced carrot

Rutabega, potato, and carrots should be diced to the same size similar to diced potatoes you buy frozen. Toss it all in the pot, 5 minutes high pressure, quick release. As an option you can thicken this with a roux or cornstarch slurry to make more of a gravy and it will eat like a stew. A little more chicken broth it is a hearty soup. We dumped a can of cream of mushroom soup on it after the pressure was released and it was kind of like a chicken and dumpling type texture.  Without it being thickened it was a high protein meal. I tossed this into myfitnesspal and set to 4 servings, one serving is 279 calories, 27g carb, 7g fiber and 29 g protein. Given I only used leftover filling I am not sure how realistic that serving size in (too big most likely for us), but at least it gives you an idea. Anyway, something a little different to try. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 9/25/16 3:35 pm

Last year my son's Brit co-worker introduced me to pasties, Brit-style. Good, but my God! the calories! I ate just a little of the meat and vegetable filling and one bite of pastry. If my son serves them again, I think I'll pass. 

I know how difficult it is to determine serving sizes from do-it-yourself creations. Last week I made a fish and scallop stew of my own devising. I divided it into 4 portions, but it turned into 6. It was very good, but fish stew gets a little boring 6 meals in a row. Sometimes I think my eyes are literally bigger than my stomach. 

Can the rutabagas be left out of the stew? Turnips in any form are not my favorite vegetables.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 9/25/16 5:43 pm

I think you could do pretty much whatever sounded appetizing to you. I would have sworn I was not a rutabega fan at all. It wasn't until we bought a cookbook from the U.P. specifically to get a recipe for pasties that I realized what I was eating. Unfortunately, we lost the cookbook before we could actually use it, so my hubbies version is his own interpretation of it. We still love it though! 

I am so with you on the calories. I have always been willing to go a little high on a dish if I really love it, but this is just a crazy dense calorie dish. And there is something about a pastie that I can put down a fair amount, so even the restriction is not enough from loading up on calories. I am not sure if we would necessarily go out of our way to make the stew concoction, but it was a great use of leftover filling. We have another rutabaga (he bought too much) so likely I will make another round of this stuff to use that up. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

luvmypuggies
on 9/27/16 10:51 pm

Couldn't resist a rutabaga comment! I'm Norwegian, and we make a dish which is basically like mashed potatoes but uses rutabagas instead.  I peel them and cut them up into uniform slices, boil until tender (in water and some chicken broth), mash, and add copious amounts of butter and milk/cream, salt/pepper and a little nutmeg.  It's delish!!  Even my kids love it.  Cooking it this way removes any of the bitter taste that people often associate with this type of veggie.  I have to bring this to my mom's annual traditional-Norsky-foods xmas party, so I make enormous batches using 7-8 lbs of rutabagas - this generates some strange looks by befuddled grocery check-out clerks. :)

PS - I'm excited to try steaming this in my instant pot...

Gwen M.
on 9/28/16 4:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Yay Norway.  I've asked my partner many times if he wants me to learn to make any traditional Norwegian food and he's always like, "NO WAY."  So the only thing he's wanted me to make is Kebabs like the ones you get in Oslo.  With the white and red sauces.  Totally traditional ;)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 9/29/16 3:22 pm

Oh yum, I am totally going to cook the rutabega like that in the IP. chicken broth, sliced up rutabega. We will have to see about the butter at the end for the hubby, and a little seasoning. I have no idea why I never thought to do that, but that is totally something I would love!

Joshua H.
on 9/25/16 7:57 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

My mom has made crustless pasties for years.  Crust on versions were always better in my book, but she'd just take the filling and make tinfoil pouches to bake them.  

happyteacher
on 9/26/16 4:41 pm

That is one smart mom! I could do it that way in the IP too- might just try it!

ttfan
on 9/26/16 2:22 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I have never had them, but they sound yummy!  I love almost all veggies, but the carbs are to high for me, I try to keep them below 20

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

happyteacher
on 9/26/16 4:42 pm

They are really good, but no getting around the carbs and cals- especially if you are using a crust.

Most Active