Travelling after surgery

Joshua H.
on 9/26/16 10:58 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Looks like my surgery is going to fall 3.5 to 4 weeks prior to a can't-miss out of town event.  Will require 4 hours of driving, and not much else strenuous.  From what I read most of you were back up and around prior to the 3.5 mark, but am I crazy for planning on being on the road that soon after surgery?

MissNexxie
on 9/26/16 11:30 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I think you could travel at that time frame so long as you take care during initial post-op recovery with proper rest, liquids etc.  Be sure your doctor approves as well.  the big thing will be to ensure you are strong enough to drive AND to not lift any heavy items like luggage, coolers, etc.  Typically you must not lift anything more than about 8 pounds until about 6 weeks out.  The outside incision may be small but your actual stomach has a huge incision that must heal without stress.

Beyond that, be sure to have enough liquids for the trip and enough protein on hand depending on what food stage you are in. Build in one pitstop into the trip so you can walk around.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Joshua H.
on 9/26/16 12:05 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

Thanks for the reply.  Thankfully I won't be travelling solo, so if I can't drive or lift luggage -- it's not a total loss.

psychoticparrot
on 9/26/16 12:20 pm

It all depends on your individual physiology, your age, how quickly you heal, and especially, how careful you are in following your surgeon's instructions post-op. A setback from any of those variables can lead to complications, which are the last thing you want on the road and far from home.

I left Pennsylvania for a 2-month stay in Florida 2 weeks after my surgery, much to my surgeon's dismay. It was a trip my husband and I had planned for months. It was a disaster. I was hospitalized twice, once in Jacksonville (where I almost died) and once in Charlotte in southern Florida.

The reasons? 1. I was 63 and slow to heal. 2. I didn't keep up with my liquid intake and allowed myself to become dehydrated, which led to a life-threatening kidney infection. 3. I didn't follow my surgeon's advice (and from many on this forum) to "sip, sip, sip." I did sip, but at half-hour intervals rather than every 5 minutes, which would have averted the whole mess.

Talk to your surgeon, Joshua, and if you absolutely cannot miss this event, make certain you follow your surgeon's advice to the letter. It might also be a good idea to find out where good local medical care can be had wherever it is you're going.

Good luck!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Mai23
on 9/26/16 1:27 pm, edited 9/26/16 6:27 am

I think it depends on your age, general health, and most importantly how you are feeling. At the time of my sleeve, since nobody told me not to, I traveled across the country a week later (5 hour plane ride) and then half way across the world (12 hour plane ride) about 10 days out. The special accommodations I had were ensuring someone was there to lift my suitcase before and after, so I didn't break the no lifting more than 10 pounds rule. I also requested lovenox shots to give myself prior to flight to avoid blood clots. These were work trips and were necessary. Also I was pretty young at the time and in very good shape. You're driving so I don't see you requiring blood thinners, not that anybody in the states would ever dream of handing out lovenox shots at the request of the patient. So, provided you don't go around lifting heavy luggage, I think you'll be fine. 

GAHP
on 9/28/16 8:52 pm
On September 26, 2016 at 8:27 PM Pacific Time, Mai23 wrote:

I think it depends on your age, general health, and most importantly how you are feeling. At the time of my sleeve, since nobody told me not to, I traveled across the country a week later (5 hour plane ride) and then half way across the world (12 hour plane ride) about 10 days out. The special accommodations I had were ensuring someone was there to lift my suitcase before and after, so I didn't break the no lifting more than 10 pounds rule. I also requested lovenox shots to give myself prior to flight to avoid blood clots. These were work trips and were necessary. Also I was pretty young at the time and in very good shape. You're driving so I don't see you requiring blood thinners, not that anybody in the states would ever dream of handing out lovenox shots at the request of the patient. So, provided you don't go around lifting heavy luggage, I think you'll be fine. 

This is all really interesting to me too because I have to go to my best friend's wedding which is a 2hr international flight away, and even though my date isn't confirmed, it seems like it'll be about a month (or less) before then. I cannot, cannot, cannot miss it so I would have to possibly postpone my surgery?*screaming internally*. On the no-lifting, nothing more than 10 lbs?? Eek...I have a 26 pound 1.5 year old. 

Joshua H.
on 9/29/16 9:30 am
VSG on 10/26/16

This can't miss thing is a wedding I MUST attend.  I'll just have to get people to wait on me :)

GAHP
on 9/29/16 8:12 pm

HAHA I might just have to do that too! It is just such a gamble if I opted to have the surgery done within a month of the wedding since people's recovery can vary so drastically. There are people saying that within a couple of days they were doing their normal things around the house, no pain. And others can barely get out of bed for 2 weeks. And yet even some that at 4 weeks have been struggling fiercely with eating/drinking and the severe lack of energy. And flying internationally (or driving long distances) just has all the added risks of blood clots. I guess no dancing/drinking/eating or having any fun for us!

Grim_Traveller
on 9/26/16 1:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You should be fine. Lifting is the only universal prohibition.

But you will be tired easier than usual. Plan some nap times into your day and you'll thank yourself for it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Heather L.
on 9/26/16 3:00 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Personally, there is no way I'd have been able to sit up in a car for 4 hours at 3-4 weeks post-op.  But, that's my experience.  Sitting up, with pressure on my abdomen like at a table/desk or in a car, was intolerable for me for almost 7 full weeks.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Most Active