Low Pottasium

takingarisk3825
on 9/29/16 1:05 pm

A friend of mine had the sleeve at the start of this year.  She was hospitilized yesterday and was told her pottasium levels were very low and that was common with weight loss surgery. Has anyone experienced this before? 

califsleevin
on 9/29/16 4:08 pm - CA

It happens occasionally, though usually the person has a pre-existing condition where they tend to be low (like my wife,) or they had some dehydrating event that sapped them of their electrolytes (food poisoning or the like.) It's not particularly characteristic of WLS in general, though from the generalist view where WLS=RNY, there is something to it as the RNY does characteristically malabsorb minerals.

It is a concern for us in that our diets are limited while we are losing, exacerbated by low carb dieting that many do which cuts out the best food sources (potatoes, bananas, melons, etc.), compounded by the matter that the normal OTC supplements don't provide usable amounts of potassium (at least in the USA, where they are limited to 3% of the RDA.)

My wife has a daily smoothie of Rx K supplement, protein powder, tangerine juice, banana, strawberries and whatever else hits her to keep her levels in check (note - this is not a weight loss product!) We typically don't need to go to such extents and usually get by fine on our limited diets and marginal supplements, but we tend not to have much reserve so should be wary of any events that may leave us short to avoid trips to the ER.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

NYMom222
on 9/29/16 8:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

A combination of not being able to eat a lot of food... so you aren't getting as many nutrients/vitamins and minerals in, as well as drinking lots of fluids which can deplete electrolytes if you aren't careful... can be a perfect storm for some people. Usually there are symptoms... muscle cramping, and if it is a severe depletion - heart palpitations. I had low potassium pre-WLS from a Blood Pressure med I was on which was not supposed to deplete your potassium but in my case it did.

That is why being faithful to take your vitamins as well as scheduled bloodwork is important

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 9/30/16 5:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It happens, but I wouldn't say it was common. 

After WLS it is imperitive to have a complete set of labs run regularly, and supplement as needed. 

Having said that, I've known people that had electrolyte deficiencies who never had WLS.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

takingarisk3825
on 10/3/16 11:45 am

Thanks Everyone.

AK_Gipson
on 10/4/16 6:55 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I am 2 and a half years out and it can still happen. I try to drink at least 20oz of PowerAde Zero a day for the potassium, usually while at the gym :) 32 oz bottles are 68 cents at Walmart. This way I don't have to take a huge pill , that even people who haven't had surgery have to break in half..

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Most Active