1 yr 1 mo post op bad GERD

E_Saenz
on 10/1/16 12:02 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Has anyone else had bad GERD after sleeve I have been very sick with it.  I've been taking my omeperzole but no relief.  I just had an upper GI and next week i am having an edoscopy.  Then my surgeon will consult.  Just wondering if I am going to have to have surgery again.

Elia Maria Saenz

White Dove
on 10/1/16 1:24 pm - Warren, OH

If the GERD cannot be controlled with medicine it is usually resolved by reversing the sleeve to an RNY. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

GAHP
on 10/1/16 5:03 pm

Is it common to have these kinds of problems after a VSG?? I didn't know there were any kind of long-term or common complications with it!

White Dove
on 10/1/16 8:18 pm - Warren, OH

GERD is a possible complication of VSG and is managed with medications.  Severe GERD can lead to Barrett's esophagus, a pre-cancerous condition.  I do not believe I have ever seen any statistics on the chance of getting GERD, but know my surgeon will not do a sleeve on a person who already has GERD.

RNY surgery does resolve the GERD for many.  I had RNY, so no personal experience with GERD.

GERD seems to be caused by pressure from the sleeve.  There is more concern now that some of the antacids used to treat GERD are now reported to be involved in causing dementia.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 10/1/16 2:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you tried a stronger PPI like Protonix?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

E_Saenz
on 10/1/16 8:08 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

My surgeon just had me double up on my omeprazole to teice a day instead of once.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/16 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear about your GERD troubles!!  Did you have reflux before surgery at all and take meds, or did this only come about  after your sleeve? 

Let us know what transpires.  Feel better!! 

E_Saenz
on 10/1/16 8:06 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

After my sleeve I have been struggling for about 5 month but just recent it's worse so my surgeon has me grtting imaging and endoscotpic aproach to see what he wants to do.

Elia Maria Saenz

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/16 8:58 am

Please let me know what you find out and what the surgeon decides.  Good luck!  Feel better!  

Donna L.
on 10/2/16 9:52 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm 13 months out and I have GERD so bad it's giving me stabbing chest pain that put me in the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack.  I have my EGD (endoscopy) scheduled for the 27th, but I sort of want to get it sooner because, you know, chest pain.  Dexilant worked much better than omeprazole for me, but my insurance no longer covers it.  I may also have an invasive candida infection, so they will check for that too, during the EGD.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active