Well, I did it again. Costco sized protein powder that is blechy

happyteacher
on 10/10/16 3:51 am

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, so am attempting to eliminate as much dairy and other options out of my diet. My go to protein shakes all have dairy due to being whey protein. Bought a big ol' tub of Organic protein (chocolate) from Costco after checking reviews on Amazon. Everybody raved about how good it was by protein shake standards, so I thought I was safe. Not a fan. I appreciate the protien source is derived from plant based options and is dairy free for sure, but there is just something about it that I don't like. I am normally very tolerant of the protein taste too. Anyway, I now use it in my morning coffee which has solved two problems. One, I like it in my coffee- the strong chocolate flavor is tempered by the coffee. I am using it in place of my normal cream, so avoiding the morning shot of dairy while finding a good use for the powder. Just thought I would post in case someone out there has some protein powder that can't stomach as a shake- try it in your coffee. 

If you try- the powder will clump/denature if the coffee is too hot. I pour a couple of ounces over one ice cube and stir until melted. Add in 1 scoop powder, mix until dissolved, then fill the mug with coffee after that. No problems with clumping this way, and get in 21 g of protein before I am off to work. This will for sure help me get closer to my protein targets for the day!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

pr31
on 10/10/16 5:04 am

Another option to avoid the clumping.  I make the coffee a little stronger than I like it.  I premix the protein powder with just enough warm water to mix it to a liquid then pour into the coffee.  Works great.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Donna L.
on 10/10/16 5:18 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't like any of the plant protein options by themselves, so I totally understand.  I omitted most dairy for my three AI diseases, and reintroduced just the whey.  I seem to tolerate it well so far, and my antibody counts are still down for my thyroid.  Usually you are supposed to eliminate coffee for the autoimmune protocol diet too, however I reintroduced it too after doing an elimination diet.  It has cross-tolerance with gluten though, studies have found.  I haven't had an issue.  

I'm definitely stealing your protein coffee idea!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 10/10/16 4:11 pm

Sigh, it is the AIP diet I am trying to work towards in small incremental steps. I drink decaf, so at least the caffeine part is not  problem. My first goal is to pull out most all of the dairy. My daughter was terrible allergic to it when she was young, so I am rusty but fluent with very good substitutions. But dang, the AIP thing is rough. Lean protein and green leafy veggies pretty much. Fortunately though that works with the sleeve :) 

Dairy triggered the lichen planus, so I am assuming the whey is a no go. I might try to reintroduce it at a later date once I have done a better job of eliminating dairy, egg, night shades. I am saving wheat/gluten and coffee for last in hopes it doesn't have to go that far.

I was reading up on it- purslane is really good for us AI challenged folks. It is sold at Mexican grocers as verdolaga or something close to that. Swansons carries a supplement that I just started, and I am already noticing an improvement. Anyway, you might want to check it out. Purslane is a green leafy plant. I would prefer to eat it fresh, but it is tough to find locally. Bought some seeds though and plan on starting to grow it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 10/10/16 6:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Sadly, gluten is tied to a lot of autoimmune issues.  It's the most important one to cut for Celiac, but especially Hahsimoto's.  I have horrible Hashimoto's, though.  Only 5% thyroid function.

My joints swell horribly when I eat it.  I have to for the dang endoscopy at the end of the month and believe me, I feel far worse for it.  Even for Hashimoto's especially it's bad. The gluten and dairy have a similar protein matrix, too.  It basically punches through the gut and is not digested the same.  I recently found out all my medications have gluten (ugh...) and I am trying to find other ways to get generic versions.

I will check out the purslane!  I actually didn't know that!  I will buy it instead of growing though, as I kill plants by just looking in their general direction, heh.

I have Celiac and did low carb for years so I am used to it.  Alas, I have been slipshod lately because of stress and even though I am eating well now, the 2-4 ounces of seitan a day or LC bread slice are kicking my butt from the gluten.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 10/11/16 4:04 pm

Wasn't even connecting swollen joints to this- got a little of that going on too. I will make notes of what food impacts that as well. 

Do you eat bread of any type, and if so can you recommend something? I don't eat a lot, but some is very helpful Same thing with flour- if there is something you use if you could share that would be very helpful!

Donna L.
on 10/11/16 4:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I didn't either.  My doc told me to try and remember autoimmune diseases are always systems based.  They will affect unrelated systems often, like joints.  I also get the celiac dermatitis which is so very fun... 

I don't eat bread at all any more.  I am temporarily having 1 slice of the healthy life lower carb wheat bread a day for the endoscopy at the end of the month.  Even that is making me blooogh.  I weighed myself today and I've gained 15 pounds since Friday.  The surgeon said it was all water weight from the gluten.  

The prepared gluten free breads are too carby for me, but many people buy Udi.  When I bake, I use a mix of coconut and almond flour.  If you can do higher carbs there are more options.  The King Arthur Flour gluten free stuff is great!  The GF America's Test Kitchen books which are gluten free are fabulous, too!  Simple Mills makes fabulous pancake and muffin mixes.  The pancakes are 130 calories for a bariatric size serving (their normal serving is teeny), but three boxes are like $20.  Still, they are some of the better tasting ones I had.  The box lasts me forever since I only eat them very rarely.  16g of net carbs per serving, too.  Not awful.  I use them for "dessert" when other people have cake (to prevent me from eating, well, cake) and top them with 1-2 sliced strawberries and some truvia.

happyteacher
on 10/11/16 6:02 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try a loaf of Udi and the flour mentioned.  I don't mind paying that for some of the mixes due to using it so infrequently. I appreciate your taking the time to respond!!

Donna L.
on 10/11/16 6:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Anytime!  I always appreciate your replies too!

I forgot to say: gluten free bisquick is amazing!  It is not good for me since still losing weight, but if you can eat it give that a try too!

happyteacher
on 10/13/16 4:10 pm

Will do. I use Bisquick for dumplings, and Winter is a coming so it is nearly dumpling season!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views