After nearly a decade of lurking, my first post! I'm finally having my VSG!

Cathy H.
on 10/16/16 12:33 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Hello, everyone. I've been watching these forums at ObesityHelp.com since 2008. I nearly had a Lap Band that year, but cancelled at the last minute. Since then I have constantly thought about whether or not I wanted to have bariatric surgery. I researched every option out there. Finally in 2014 I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I don't mind telling you it scared the hell out of me! I was determined not to have to take insulin, so I made drastic changes in my diet, and managed okay. But I still couldn't get my blood sugar down where it needed to be, even after adding Metformin pills to my regime.

The diabetes, added to my high blood pressure, sciatica, degenerative arthritis in my knees, trouble sleeping (no apnea, at least), depression and everything else you are all going through as well, I decided enough was enough. My body was telling me to do something, and I finally searched deep down and knew it was time for me to have surgery, and finally get this weight off and get healthy.

So, I'm having my VSG on October 31, 2016...my Halloween treat! Dr. Wheeler at SSM DePaul in St. Louis will be doing my surgery, and I'm very excited, scared, nervous, anxious...you name it, I've felt that emotion in the last few weeks.

I begin my 2-week liquid diet day after tomorrow...Monday, October 17, 2016.

I'm not usually a "joiner," but I know I need all the support I can get to get through this and be successful. So here I am! I know after lurking here for years that this is a great group, and I know you all will provide another layer of support to my already amazing support system!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

missc_26
on 10/16/16 2:03 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Welcome and congratulations on having a date locked in - it is going to be a very special Halloween to remember!

This is by no means the easy option, it sounds like you have proceeded with caution and done your research. The liquid diet is challenging but you will get thru it. If you need support give us a shout out we've got your back.

Wishing you the best of luck on your journey to renewed health and a whole new you 

roxytrim
on 10/16/16 5:17 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

WTG Cathy, by posting on OH, I think you will get far more out of your journey.  You most certainly have your ducks in a row so there isn't much advice you need to hear.  Strap in...you are set for an amazing ride.

Remember 2 years from now when your health is turned around and your weight is under control to keep being part of the forums because that is when the roll up your sleeves work is required.

Gwen M.
on 10/16/16 5:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hello and welcome!  I hope that, with diabetes, you seriously considered RNY was an option?  I believe that it's got a higher "fix" rate for diabetes.

The liquid diet sucks a lot - but I think being prepared for that makes it a bit easier.  It did for me at least!  I reminded myself that I just had to get through it, that no one had died from starvation or boredom with the pre-op diet, and that it was what I needed to do to get to where I wanted to be.  It does get a bit easier after day 3-4.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 10/16/16 7:15 am

Wow, 10 years lurking... I think you just won the lurker award!.  The great part about the luring though is you have likely seen the pattern of posts that transpire as folks navigate the process.... the jitters leading up to the surgery, the two week period of recovery after, the three week stall, etc.  You are ready with that information!  Don't back out this time, as it truly will drastically improve your health. It is normal to be nervous going in, but it will be over before you know it. 3 months from now you will be positively shocked about how much better you feel!  I am excited for you! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 10/16/16 7:32 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Congrats and good luck, Cathy!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 10/16/16 7:56 am - Warren, OH

With VSG there is a 50% chance your diabetes will go into remission.  With RNY the chance goes to 75-80%.  You will hear from people *****solved with VSG and if it does not resolve for you, you will wish you have the RNY instead.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.  You have about seven years after the onset of diabetes before the pancreas gets too worn out for surgery to help.  I would strongly advise you to switch to RNY now and up your chances for remission.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

califsleevin
on 10/16/16 9:20 am - CA

Actually, the approach that she and her surgeon are taking is quite reasonable. Overall, the sleeve and RNY show very similar results when it comes to diabetes remission rates - some practices may show somewhat better results with one procedure over the other but overall the differences are statistically insignificant. The best approach for diabetes would be to go with the DS which shows remission rates in the 98% range, which should not be overly surprising given that it has its roots in surgical procedures that were developed for the treatment of diabetes, to which the sleeve gastrectomy was added to make it a WLS. On that basis, going with the sleeve is a very sound approach as the DS would be a straightforward revision (some would call it a "completion" given that the sleeve is the first step of a DS,) should it be necessary while revising an RNY to a DS is a very complicated procedure that few surgeons can perform. I have seen a couple of bypass patients come through the past couple years whose diabetes came out of remission with only moderate regain who were seeking that very revision. It's always good to have a viable "plan B" on hand if needed.

Couple this with some of the other issues that the OP has where the RNY's has a greater intolerance for many pain relievers and anti-inflammatories makes the sleeve based procedures a good choice for her overall situation. Given other cir****tances, the RNY can be the better choice - it's all about looking at the total picture and looking at all the options with the surgeon (or multiple surgeons, as second opinions can be very valuable in these more complicated cases.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

happyteacher
on 10/16/16 12:25 pm

I think I remember the diabetic remission rate being higher than 50%, but would have to find research to confirm. Mine did go into remission. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cathy H.
on 10/18/16 12:57 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Thank you for the advice.  However, I'm not having the surgery for my diabetes, although I hope it helps.  I've been contemplating it long before I was diagnosed with diabetes.  My blood sugar runs around 120 right now, so I have no doubt it will get way better after surgery.  I'm doing this for my overall health, to feel better, and to actually have a life after 56 years.  Any improvement is going to be a plus!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views