2.5 years out - more restriction?!

hollyk79
on 10/16/16 6:30 am - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

I am 2.5 years out from my sleeve and have done fairly well. I have kept off most of what I lost. The last few months though, I am finding that I can eat less and less and quite often have a lot of chest pressure after I eat. Cardiac has been ruled out as well as gallbladder issues. I am scheduled to see a bariatric doctor but appointment isn't for another 3 months ?. Anyone experienced this or have any idea what it could be?

Bufflehead
on 10/16/16 6:38 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I haven't experienced that but the only thing I have heard of that sounds similar is a stricture. I am not a medical professional though! I'm glad you are following up with your bariatric team, I'll bet they can help you, whatever it is. Good luck!

AK_Gipson
on 10/16/16 7:02 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Unfortunately I know this :( it literally feels like you are having chest pains / heart attack. I have gotten so bad I was panting like I couldn't catch my breath. 

It is probably acid reflux. Mine is so severe the surgeon is discussing revision to the rny. 

However taking a protonix in the am and a Zantac (or 2 as needed) at night has helped so much! 

see if you are more symptomatic after eating tomatos, speghetti sauce, ketchup,  those are big triggers for me. Anything acidic. I also now eat tiny meals, 6 times a day, so the acid doesn't build up 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

AK_Gipson
on 10/16/16 7:04 am
VSG on 04/14/14
White Dove
on 10/16/16 7:49 am - Warren, OH

I started having chest pain after eating and was put on PPI's.  They made no difference.  After three months I was told to go to the hospital to see if it could be heart related.  The hospital did EKG, echogram and a lot of other tests.  The EKG and echogram came back perfect.

On the third day in the hospital they did a chemical stress test and found a possible abnormality.  They told me that they would do a catheterization and might have to place a stent.  When they did the catheterization they found blocked arteries and I ended up having a triple bypass.

Your first step will be seeing your doctor for acid reducers.  Hopefully that is all you need.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollyk79
on 10/16/16 2:41 pm, edited 10/16/16 7:41 am - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

That's so scary! But thank goodness they caught it!

hollyk79
on 10/16/16 7:59 am - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

Thanks for the responses... I am hoping it is just acid but curious why my doctor hasn't even considered that. I ate a small piece of toast and literally felt STUFFED for 4+ hours. This is a definite change from what I could eat 6 months - one year ago. I am just tired of feeling like UGH and like I just want to huddle up in bed after every meal. 

califsleevin
on 10/16/16 9:28 am - CA

If it is going to take 3 months to see a bariatric doc, I would be inclined to seek out a gastroenterologist in the meantime, as there can be several things that can be causing in increased restriction. Inflammation from some sort of distress or polyps can form in the stomach (much like what they look for in the colon when they do colonoscopies.) They may not show much symptomatically to a normal person, but with our small stomachs the difference can be more significant, and they can create some partial blockages in the wrong place. They are usually benign and not a big deal to remove in an endoscopy, but not always, which is why it is good to get things looked at sooner rather than later when such symptoms occur.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

AK_Gipson
on 10/16/16 12:09 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

I'm not sure where you are, but here the Zantac that my doc has me on is also over the counter. He wants me doing 2 a day and insurance will only cover one a day. So I have to buy the rest. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

happyteacher
on 10/16/16 12:14 pm

Agree with the previous suggestions. Acid came to mind first for me as well, and checking for a hiatel hernia. Stricture also seems feasible. Additionally, the suggestion for the gastro doc is excellent. Call now and schedule an appointment. Your gastro doc will likely run a couple of different tests- endoscopy, upper gi, and maybe an ultrasound or something if they think it might be linked to the gallbladder. Doesn't seem like gallbladder though. Either way, your bariatric guy likely will refer you to the gastro guy so this will help speed things along. When I had similar issues my bariatric center immediately referred me over to the gastro guy, even taking the time to call the gastro office to get me in a.s.a.p due to the severity and prior cancer history. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active