Anti- Biotics After the Sleeve?

WatchKittyShrink
on 10/18/16 10:58 am
VSG on 06/15/16

Hey everyone. I am 7 weeks post op VSG and sick.  Just a regular cold/sinus issues nothing to do with my sleeve. I am sure the Dr will call me in some antibiotics, What is your all's experience with antibiotics after the sleeve?

Yes, I know, I will call my surgeon before taking anything. I just want to know about some other people's personal experiences.

I tend to get nauseous easily (even before surgery) and the only thing that helped was taking the medicine with food, which isn't exactly easy since I can't eat and drink within 30 minutes of each other lol.

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 11:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I haven't had any issue with antibiotics post-op, although doxycycline nauseated me prior and still does.  

It's not a problem to take a small sip of liquid before you eat to swallow a pill.  Due to the way our digestive system works, it's not a problem to drink up until you start eating - it's the post-eating drinking that's an issue. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 10/18/16 3:25 pm

I was sensitive to antibiotics prior to surgery, and allergic to some. Post surgery, more sensitive... but that was after being on a ton of different ones long term to try to knock out some infection related to cancer. I pretty much am guaranteed to lose between 5-10 pounds if on a two week regiment. I am allergic to cephalaxin and the family it is derived from. Doxycycline or something like that shreds my digestive system after about 2 days. Z pacs seem to be easiest, other than I notice I absolutely positively don't want to eat- like in a weird anorexic kind of way. It goes away once off of it. In general, I don't think the sleeve plus antibiotics is anything to be concerned about. After the amount I have been on if there was a problem it would have happened by now. 

On a side note, viral infections are not improved with antibiotics. Don't take them unless you absolutely know it is bacterial. Otherwise you will develop resistance... I am dealing with that due to getting one of the super bugs post surgery (unrelated to vsg) and it sucks. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 10/18/16 4:16 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had a course of antibiotics in the hospital and none afterward gave me issues.  I have been on antibiotics four times aside from that since last June (I have a horrible immune system and a history of MRSA).  

I have never been nauseous with antibiotics or meds, but YMMV.   Liquid antibiotics might be easier if you are worried though; ask if they are covered for you with what your surgeon wants to order. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active