Been Stuck for WAY Too Long!!

The_Sun_Fairy
on 10/18/16 11:45 am

It's been just over 2 years since my surgery and to be honest, although I am still glad that I did it, I have been so frustrated for so long, I just don't know what to do!!  I have lost about 100lbs total since my starting weight, but I have been literally stuck where I am for over a year!!  I have tried numerous times to go "back to basics," having just a shake for breakfast and lunch, with a high protein, low carb dinner, but even that has not worked - and I just make myself hungry!!  I did undergo a knee replacement in June 2016, which has made it easier to move around, but even so, I still fluctuate within 5-7lbs of where I am now!!  Has anyone gone through a LONG plateau and been able to push through it??  If so, how did you do it??  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Trust the Process!! :)

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 11:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I basically put myself into maintenance, as it sounds you have done, for the entire second year of my post-op life.  My dad's cancer had spread to his brain, I was traveling often to spend time with him and traveling led to eating in the car which led to eating at home, etc, etc.  After he died in April 2016 I knocked myself out of maintenance and into gain - I gained 10 pounds.  Then I decided that I needed to do something about it.  So I finally got my Binge Eating Disorder Diagnosed and got medication to treat it.  

So, yes, I have gone through this.  

I always knew, for that year I was stuck at 180 and then when I gained back to 190, what I was doing wrong.  We all know it.  I was eating too much.  Clearly you are too, and I'm sure you know this.  

Shakes aren't super useful because, as you've found out, they won't help you feel satiated.  Dense proteins are the way to go.  Measure and log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, using something like MyFitnessPal.  See where your calories are coming from, how many you're eating each day, and start reducing them.  Try reducing by 100/day for a week.  If you don't start losing, reduce by another 100/day for a week.  Etc.  Stick to dense proteins, avoid processed/refined carbs.  

You know what to do and you can do it :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

The_Sun_Fairy
on 10/18/16 12:00 pm

It's interesting that you don't recommend shakes, as my doc actually told me to go back to the shakes because I was not losing.  There were many nurses in his office who had had the surgery themselves, and they too, recommended going back to them.  Maybe your way will work better!!  Thanks :)

Gwen M.
on 10/18/16 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm over 2 years out and still have a shake for breakfast, just because a) it works for me and b) I don't like eating solid food in the morning so.. 

But, yeah, they won't make you feel satisfied in the way that dense protein will.  Liquid goes right through your system.  Ideally, you want to avoid liquid calories as much as possible and stick to the ones that give you the most bang for your buck - nutrients AND satiation-wise.  

The main thing you need to do is track, though.  You can't see what you need to change if you don't have accurate data.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Ditch the shakes. You will just feel hungry, drinking calories.

Dense protein. Weigh and measure everything you eat. Every bite and taste. Log it all in Myfitnesspal. Track your calories. Make most of them protein and fats. It will keep you full and satisfied for the longest amount of time.

Once you see where your calories are, you'll need to cut 500 per day to lose 1 pound per week.

The math is simple. The concept is really straightforward. It's just really, really hard to do. But if you want to see the scale move downward, this is the most simple way to do it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The_Sun_Fairy
on 10/18/16 12:04 pm

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 12:02 pm

Gwen gave you some great advice already and I can only echo what she has said. Shakes don't make you feel full and rarely satisfy your "hunger." Also depending on the shakes used, they can be loaded with sugar and carbs. You should be prioritizing high-protein meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - with the only carbs you eat coming from veggies.

Log all of your food intake through MyFitnessPal. First log a typical day or two with your current eating habits. See how many calories and carbs you're really consuming. For most people who have success losing, that means staying under 50g of carbs a day and under 1,000 calories total. Pairing that with over 80g of protein a day will make a world of difference in making you feel full and satisfied, while still eating "on plan" for weight loss.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

The_Sun_Fairy
on 10/18/16 12:06 pm

I am only using high quality shakes that are low carb and high protein, not Slimfast or anything like that!! LOL

FuturePinUp
on 10/18/16 12:29 pm

Even so, I know I'd much rather use those calories on yummy, delicious and filling nourishment. :) There's a lot you can eat for 200-300 calories that will fill your belly up and make you less likely to feel hungry and then turn to snacking or binge eating. 

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 2:54 pm

as others said - shakes may not be a best choice.  Whey stimulates insulin and taht can prevent a weight loss.

when I had a some regain - I would go on a lower calorie diet and I would initially lose 5-6 lbs then nothing for a while. I had to be really consistent with diet for months for my body to "let go" of another 4-5 lbs... then my body would stabilize..and stall.  One we get smaller - it takes a major calories deficit and other factors for us to lose weight...

I am currently at goal and my weight can fluctuate within 3-4 lbs during any 24 hr .. or 4-6 lbs in any 48 hours.  In evening I can be 3-4 lbs heavier that I was in the morning. Hydrations, carbs - vs no carbs , more or less salt, constipation - are just a few factors why my weight can change so much.. tracking weekly or monthly average allows me to see if I am losing - gaining or maintain.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views