GERD update (and random thyroid notes)

Donna L.
on 10/26/16 5:27 pm, edited 10/26/16 5:28 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I survived my endoscopy, and also lots of bad Cubs humor, during my procedure.  (Sorry Midwesterners, the Mets are still the best. :P)

The GI doc said he saw almost zero acid damage, actually. He also said that Harvey is intact and healed, and not stretched!  So at least that's good news.  We think I have about a 6-8 ounce healed capacity, which is interesting to me.  He complimented my surgeon's skills.  It also makes sense given what I can currently eat with comfort at this time.  (I'm 14 months post-VSG, 36Fish sleeve I think)

While no visible acid damage is good news, it's also sort of frustrating in many ways, as my chest pain and pressure continues, and no gallstones or heart issues are present.  They did biopsy to see how my celiac has progressed, as well as for h. pyolori, and abnormal cells (re:acid) so I am still waiting these results.  It looked much better than before and my small intestines are in good shape at least - pre-VSG I had uncontrolled Celiac and my bowels more closely resembled swiss cheese.  I have a cute duodenum apparently?  I shall have to find it an appropriately cute name, as well.

This puts me in a good place to discuss the DS with my surgeon next week, and/or other options.  We'll see how it goes.

On the down side, my T3 is plummeting. This is Not Very Good, as I am already on a high dose of thyroid crap.  It may finally be time to have it removed.  I have an ultrasound next week to see if the nodules are bigger.  Or I might just finally switch to WP Thyroid or Armour.  Yay autoimmune life?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 6:08 pm

Hugs.. It sucks. I know. 

Btw - for a leaky gut I take L-glutamine, mixed with inositol and glycine.  All powder ..disolved in team I really like the combination.  I also get gelatin - unflavored beef grass fed as often as I can.really helps heal the gut. But it takes time. Lots of time. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 10/27/16 11:29 am, edited 10/27/16 4:29 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I will definitely try it. I actually have a lot of bone broth during the week.  Maybe extra gelatin will help?

I am reminded of an old skit: "patience, how long will that take?!"  I'm just tired of being sick.  

Going gluten free again has already helped even two days post-endoscopy.  I have also, reluctantly, cut all dairy out besides yogurt and it's made a difference, too. 

Thank you, Hala!  You have helped me a lot

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 10/27/16 3:05 am

An endoscopy would not pick up if you have a hiatel hernia. I had a very, very large one that the endoscopy missed. The symptoms you described match the hernia situation. 

On a side note, I don't have leaky gut issues... or at least I don't think I do. I do have occasional bouts if issues, but I attribute it to the loss of the gallbladder. Anyway, I have been digging around looking for something to help with lichen planus, and came across AHCC. Some of the research I read mentioned it helping IBS and such. It is pricey, but given your science geek brain and ability to really dive into research articles of this nature, perhaps it might be worth you checking out. It does seem to be calming the lichen planus for me- the swelling and blistering is now gone. But, my face/eye is fairly red and I associate that with inflammation levels being high. It is allergy season for me though so can't be sure what the cause is. If you end up trying AHCC, the cheap stuff I have been warned doesn't work worth a damn. Folks are using the Now brand, and it runs $42-$60 a bottle depending on where you get it from. The cheapest I have found is Jets, and that is if you buy 4 bottles or more and apply a 15% coupon to it. 

I hope you are able to track down some answers. The DS is an awesome surgery. I would have considered it if it were not for the lifetime of malabsorption. I am horrible about taking supplements regularly and a good week is remembering 4-5 times. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 10/27/16 11:26 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Dr. Wang actually saw the hiatal hernia.  We saw it on the CT scan too.  It's 3-4cm big only (like 1.5 inches), though.  The pain should not occur with it that small is the argument.  Who knows?  At this point just waiting for the numerous biopsy results.  Nervous about seeing the surgeon next week again.  He's probably sick of me, heh.

Huh, I'll have to check out the AHCC.  I may not be able to take it... my Cymbalta is apparently a substrate of the liver enzyme it manipulates.  The AHCC might reduce how well the cymbalta works.  It seems to decrease the effects of a lot of psychiatric meds.  I will talk to my psychiatrist.

The supplements can be daunting for the DS, but I already have to take medication and my calcium at 3-4 separate times.  I don't think it will be too different for me.  I'm already super neurotic >.>

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views