ZC Experiment

Donna L.
on 12/4/16 3:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm basically doing the 5 day meat test, but I've expanded it to two weeks.  Today I am having minimal carbs (broccoli and cauli rice, 1/4c) but back to meaty stuff after.  It does work - so far I have lost nearly 18-ish pounds in eight days.  Most of it is water weight from the gluten from the biopsy last month I'm sure.  I expect it will slow down drastically at this point.  Low carb makes such a great difference, there.  I know some is definitely fat loss because I got my period again despite my long term birth control (ugh).  At least it's for a good reason?  I really don't want to take Yet More Progesterone again, so I will just deal with it for now.

I see the bariatrician this week, so we will review.  I also started Vyvanse this month so perhaps that made a difference?  The fascinating thing about the Vyvanse is I basically don't pick at my hands any more on it.  So weird. 

Also, my sense of fullness is definitely different.  I get full so much more quickly.  We will see if it lasts! 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/4/16 4:35 pm

Wonderful.

Also don't forget the constipation while on really low card diet. It can be brutal. 

Or the muscle cramps - twitches.  If I go really low carbs I have to increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium. Those minerals keep the water in the body - muscles and helps with cramps and feeling tired. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 12/5/16 2:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am fortunate in that I've never gotten constipated except for immediately post-op.  Probably my high fat diet and magnesium stuff.

I use a potassium, magnesium, and sodium drink I make myself.  One of my friends had the idea.  She calls it "keto-ade" which makes me laugh.  I am a horrible drinker though, Hala.  That is when I get constipated too... I am sure the low electrolytes don't help.  I will have to make sure I don't die from cramps.  They are horrible.  I am all too familiar with their pain.  I'd almost rather get divorced again, heh.

I am using lite potassium salt right now because there is no way I'd get enough the way I'm eating now.  I am also using just boring magnesium citrate they sell at the drug store.  It is not glycinate or as ideal, but it's working so far.  No cramps and still too regular (I'm sure everyone is relieved).... I'll stop making puns >.>

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 12/5/16 5:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I definitely noticed a change in fullness when I started Vyvanse.  It's like I had forgotten how to hear my body telling me I was full, and Vyvanse allowed me to hear that again.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 12/5/16 2:39 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Yes!  Absolutely.  I also notice I fidget less and pick my nails less.  I used to constantly play with my hands, or tap them, etc.  Now I am still most of the time.  So weird.  I have seen people on Vyvanse for appetite suppression and they did not have the same result, which is interesting.

They believe I may actually have ADHD for various reasons, but it's hard to tell because of some other medical things.  It is also vastly under-diagnosed in women.  Of course I don't think I have it, but I learned long ago to not diagnose myself.  I always used to drink coffee to fall asleep almost my entire adult life.  Since going on Vyvanse my anxiety is gone, and I sleep so easily.  I drink 10% of the coffee I used to. Two 6oz cups in the morning down from 150+ ounces.  It lends a bit of credence to the theory, at least.

Or, maybe BED is the same way?  We know so little about it, sadly.  Hopefully that will change.

Diagnoses are just labels, anyway.  They annoy me, sometimes.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/5/16 2:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

That makes sense. Vyvanse is a stimulant, and those are often used for ADHD. Glad to know that it's helped so much in other ways beyond your eating!

I'm with you that labels can be annoying ("my" labels are bipolar and OCD), but at the same time they can be good to have because it means you've got a direction for treatment and a more concrete approach. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active