Weight Gain

Rayneshyty2
on 1/15/17 8:39 pm
VSG on 07/17/12

I have not been on here in a couple years. I had my surgery back in 2012. I did amazing lost 100lbs felt great, looked great. I worked out regularly and ate healthy. But in 2014 I planned on moving out of state and 3days before we were suppose to leave I woke up with a fever of 105degrees. Ended up in ICU that started almost 2years of medical issues from sepsis to pancreatitis to cervical cancer. I had a hysterectomy done and ever since than my weight crept right back up. Im 15lbs from my pre-surgery weight. I feel horrible physically and mentally again. I am trying to get my life back and my health. But I know my sleeve has stretched some. I would love some feedback on ways to get back my healthy weight back. TIA

Heather

AggieMae
on 1/15/17 11:29 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Sounds like you've had a hard time!

The good news is that sleeves don't really stretch.I read they do on websites and have even heard gastric surgeons say it but it's just not true.

You can and really call you bariatric center and make an appointment with the nutritionist and maybe even the psychologist. The center at my hospital always welcomes back patients who are regaining. I'm including my thoughts in case you don't or can't do this.

Because you don't have the restriction you did right after surgery this is not going to be as easy but trust me, if you make it through the first 4 days it will get easier! 

When you are ready you can start a reset diet. Meaning that you start with eating 3-4 meals high in protein and with as few carbs as possible and drinking 64 oz of water.

Since you are close to your pre surgery weight, you protein goal should be the same as it was right after surgery.  

Avoid sugar, including fruit and fruit juice since sugar increases cravings. Concentrate on protein and low carb vegetables. 

Don't drink liquids for 30 minutes after your meals. Drinking with meals is one of the most common ways that people regain weight. 

If you have stop taking vitamins you need to restart them. At least a multi, vit D3 daily and 500mg of calcium 3 times a day. Consider adding vit C, vit E and Biotin as well.  Keep posting your progress! Good luck! 

Nura777
on 1/16/17 3:05 am

So sorry! We're these issues related to the sleeve? Sepsis as I understand it occurs when you have a leak....

Gwen M.
on 1/16/17 5:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi Heater :)  The good news is that you CAN do this - you've done it before, so you have a track record of success.  

If you aren't already, the first thing you should do is track every single thing you put into you mouth using something like MyFitnessPal.  

From there, it's a matter of getting back to your basics.  Here are mine, but yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
      a. Do not drink while eating or for 30 minutes after eating
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/16/17 5:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm sorry you've gone through such a hard time.

Everyone can eat more 3 or 4 years after surgery than they can in that first year. So I wouldn't worry that you've stretched anything. You're just normal in that regard.

We can ALL eat a lot of bad carbs. We can eat them all day. But if you really want to test yourself, sit down and eat some chicken. Dense protein will show you your restriction. You'll never be able to eat enough dense protein to gain much weight. It's all the crappy carby choices that sink us.

Gwen gave you some great advice. Losing 4 years out will definitely be slower than it was in year one. You can do this, but it is going to be hard work.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 1/16/17 8:21 am

That is a difficult path to follow for sure. (Cancer survivor here, and although a different type I understand some of the challenges. ) I agree with the other posts- you are likely not stretched. If you were dealing with a lot of nausea/side effects during the time you were dealing with cancer it may have really changed your eating patterns to help alleviate how crappy all of that medicinal intervention makes you feel. Try to get back to basics- the sleeve does still work, you just might need to work at getting yourself back in the weight loss mindset.

Hugs.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KittyKarin
on 1/16/17 2:08 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi Heather!

I am so sorry about your struggles but you are not alone.  Many of us experience regain after surgery for various reasons.  A great step is acknowledging where you are now and looking to change.  It can be done!  The advice the others gave is spot on but I also wanted to add that you might want to find a support group or therapist that you can speak with about your medical struggles and emotional eating. I have tried many different therapists, groups, Overeaters Anonymous, etc. and read many books and blogs on different subjects regarding my issues with food.  Dealing with my mental health and the reasons behind why I allowed myself to regain 40 lbs has been the reason I have had the success I have in the past year.  A lot of it is mental and being able to challenge my thinking, habits and reasons is a big key to walking the line between enjoying my life and being healthy at a good weight. 

Good luck!  You can do this! It doesn't have to be fast; enjoy the process. 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Rachel B.
on 1/16/17 4:37 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Hi Heather.  I'm on a similar journey right now.  I gained back 95 pounds.  In October I decided I was done.  I refocused and restarted with low fat, low carb, high protein.  I've lost 35 pounds since then.  

Your sleeve still is there, you just have to whip it back into shape.  Don't despair, you can do this!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active