Not able to prep and serve my own meals!!

Emjaybutters
on 1/15/17 9:57 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

Last week due to a reckless episode I have been admitted to my friendly neighbourhood psychiatric hospital. 

This means that I have no say in the meal prep or meal times. I have been here twice before, but over 2 years ago, so at least I knew a little about what I was in for. 

Tomorrow is 14 weeks post op and I'm 21.2kgs down. I'm still sticking to a high protein low carb diet as much as I can. 

Knowing the size of the meals served here and the lack of choice, I did pack a bunch of protein bars to keep me on my losing path. My snacks and supper are protein bars whixh is getting a little old, but better than the alternatives. 

Normally for breakfast I have a home made protein ball and a V8 juice. Here I get the choice of cereal or toast, with juice, 100% sugar content!! Lunch and dinner has been more manageable, however I am on a special meal plan due to issues with lactose, and regardless of how many times I write on my menu 'half serve only' the food gets piled on. 

I'm doing ok managing my protein intake and walking laps of the hospital (still not allowed outside) but I watch some other patients who are institutionalised, with learning disabilities as well as mental illness and the cooks pile the food onto these patients plates, soup and bread, large serve of dinner and dessert covered in custard, with juice and sandwiches as well. 

This is a private facility so we dont have the same restrictions as the public system (in Australia). I watch as these impaired patients are provided so much food without any nutritional information or portion control and I feel sad for them. I understand that these patients aren't here to have their meal plans dictated as they are not a part of the eating disorder program, but it feels like these patients are being further disadvantaged :( 

That was really all I was thinking - being in a place where I'm here for treatment and watching others struggle the way I have with food in the past, makes me a bit sad. 

The end :) 

AggieMae
on 1/15/17 10:51 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

If you have already has VS surgery your eating plan is a PRESCRIPTION and the hospital dietician needs to accommodate it.

Explain you protein /carb/fluid to him her at once or show this message to your councilors at your next session.

Here is a link to a very good explanation of and meal plan for every phase of post WLS eating plans.

https://www.mexicobariatriccenter.com/gastric-sleeve-surgery-diet-postoperative-guidelines/

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 12:04 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Ikr? New surgery and I'm still learning but from what I've found so far my family's diet is horrible. I try to explain the food they're eating isn't feeding them, just creating a hunger cycle which they're satiating with more of the wrong food. All bulk no nutrients. I totally get your feelings of sadness. It must be hard to be a nutritionis****ching people abusing their bodies daily out of ignorance, knowing what they need to be healthy and when given the chance to counsel them, being met with 'meh, ice cream tastes good'. 

rachelp
on 1/16/17 8:29 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Can you request for your barbaric surgeon or clinic to send a meal plan to this facility that you are at. This is very important. They can prescribe protein shakes.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views