Another one...

Frankies-Girl
on 1/17/17 9:04 am, edited 1/17/17 9:43 am
VSG on 12/18/14

Relocating here along with the others from BP... ;)

I'm not a super frequent poster, but I did like helping others when I could. I am still trying to hit my (very fluffy) goal weight just over two years out from VGS surgery, but it's just 10 pounds away and I know I can do it if I stop screwing around. Lost 120 pounds so far, and hope to get to my original goal weight of 175 in the next few months, and then will add in a stretch goal of around 160. My main goals were to be able to fit in regular sized clothes (check) and get healthy (check). I'm working on exercise using walking/biking/swimming and bodyweight and yoga. I eat mostly low carb with some dairy (because cheese) but do still eat small amounts of brown rice and beans. I am in better shape than when I was in high school even though I weighed about 30 pounds less than this point (heavier now but look thinner due to the muscle improvements).

Bonus was that when I had the sleeve surgery, because I changed how I cooked and got really active, my husband also ended up losing weight and exercising along with me, and he has lost over 75 pounds by doing this. He is a normal weight and his doctor was freaking out the last time he was in for a checkup. Husband has learned to eat healthy and LOVES yoga now thanks to me. :) 

Unfortunately I've gotten pretty off track in the last few months due to serious depression and anxiety. I'm trying to work up to counseling when I have a good day, but it's been pretty hard and the good days are more like a few hours. I haven't done myself too much damage as of yet, and most days I do eat okay but becoming too reliant on food for comfort again and avoiding exercise and need to do a hard reset after getting this depression/anxiety stuff under control.

I'm in my early 40s, married, no kids. Fine artist and graphic designer/illustrator. Purple hair currently. Nice to meet all of you, and some of you I hope will remember me from the other place. :)

FINALLY MADE SURGERY GOAL: 130 pounds gone as of 4/5/17!
New stretch goal: lose 150 pounds - 20 pounds to go!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/17/17 9:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I have depression/anxiety issues, too, and I know just how freakin' hard it is to reach out when you're in that hole. Have you looked into online counseling? I've been very seriously considering it myself, I like the idea of being able to work with a therapist on the phone or by email.

Hang in there, and welcome to OH!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jakesmama
on 1/17/17 9:26 am
VSG on 02/16/15

Welcome! Reaching out is hard to do, this is a great first step. I can totally relate.

Winter is tough, where I live there are days and days of no sunshine and then my sleep schedule is off and then depression sets in almost every winter.  Low vitamin D levels due to lack of sunshine can contribute to depressed mood and not enough light can increase chance of seasonal affective disorder.  Maybe try a light box if this is a problem where you live too.  Available on amazon, many varieties of these and some are at a reasonable cost.

S smart of you to notice the trend of seeking out comfort food BEFORE too much damage is done.  You got this!

Rachel B.
on 1/17/17 10:12 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

There are also therapists that do skype therapy to you in your home.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

theAntiChick
on 1/17/17 10:20 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

:: waves ::

Welcome!

I've been so grateful for my therapist.  I started therapy about the same time I started considering surgery because I knew my food issues needed resolved either way I decided to go.  We've branched out into so much more than just my food issues, and I am so much happier now.  I love therapy.  :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/17 10:28 am, edited 1/17/17 3:52 am
VSG on 10/31/16

So glad that you posted and reached out.  Hard to do but you are among a lot of people that care and do want to help.  Agree with everyone else, hoping you can get the gumption to see someone.  It can only help.  Not sure if you are up to seeing a medical doctor but when I was in a deep, dark, hole (depression and anxiety)  a few years ago that is where I started. It took everything in my being to make that appt. I went on meds. which helped a ton. Then finding a psychologist/therapist was next, it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. Just know that you are loved, you are not alone, and you are worthy of feeling good. I care about you.

I was in the helping professions for years but now into Fine Art, painting and drawing. Interested in work you have done???  Painting ???? subject matter, etc.  I have a feeling you are very talented.  i don't have kids either.  Oh yes I do, one fur baby.  

Sai F.
on 1/17/17 10:30 am
VSG on 09/02/16

Welcome :D, it's Sai ^^

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Notaboutperfect
on 1/17/17 11:12 am
VSG on 11/08/16

Welcome!!

I'm a huge advocate of therapy--it has changed my life.  Depression, body, and food issues are so tightly intertwined.  I suggest making it (and you) a priority. 

BTW, awesome that you have purple hair!!

pammieanne
on 1/17/17 1:57 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Welcome!

I used to post over on BP, but once I started posting here I really liked the brutal honesty here... I guess I like a good ass-kicking when I need it! 

I'm still a newbie, only 8 months out from my surgery (RNY) but doing well, and trying to get to that goal!

I had purple peek a boos put in my hair last time I had it done... I'm 51, and work in a conservative Energy company... I know a few folks were wondering about me. I LOVED it! Wi**** would have lasted longer! LOL

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

VSGAnn2014
on 1/17/17 4:12 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Frankies-Girl ... I remember you from BP.  Glad to see you again.  :)

I stopped posting there about 6 months ago.  It was too over-moderated and adolescent for my taste.  When my old friends showed up here a few days ago, I joined them.  

Like Anti-Chick, I've been in therapy since just before WLS 2.5 years ago.  And like her, the work I've done with him has been more about "other stuff" than about WLS -- although there are unsurprising connections among life's stresses, weight and self-care.  I don't think I'd have been nearly as successfull as I've been (100 pounds lost in toto and maintained in the last year).  

I hope this place is helpful to you.  Thus far, OH seems like "WLS for Grown-Ups."  

Best wishes,

Ann

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active