2 month mark, what's so great about it?

Vegbeth
on 1/19/17 7:38 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Ok so I'm only 22 days out of sleeeve surgery but I've read many times how everything gets better after the 2 month mark. Since I'm feeling a bit down today about my progress I'm wondering what all changes at that point. What makes that the magical mark. Since it's only 5 weeks away it will give me something to look forward too. Thanks. 

Rachel B.
on 1/19/17 8:06 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I'm a ways away from that, but I just looked back at my blog and have an idea.  by month two, you are past the dreaded three week stall.  I sat in that sucker for a good 7 to 10 days and it SUCKED.  After that, it feels like a free fall.  The first month you are anticipating this incredible weight loss, cos you're only taking in fluids, you're only getting 300, 400, 600 calories a day.  And it feels so unfair because you are also losing all the fluid you were pumped up with during the surgery, and the fluids that fill in around the incisions while the sleeve is healing.  Then you hit the stall.  It feels like your surgery is going to be a total failure.  It's like climbing to the top of the first hill of a roller coaster.  The second month, you crest that hill, then down you go!  And if I recall, its probably another six weeks to three months before I hit another stall.

All I can say is sit back and enjoy the ride, baby!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Hiraeth
on 1/19/17 8:17 am
VSG on 08/04/16

After the 2 month mark, you are usually able to eat normal food again (except rice, bread, noodles, etc.). Also, that stuck feeling you feel when swallowing goes away for some people. I've also noticed that, at around 3 weeks post-op, some people will stall in their weight loss. About 1-3 weeks after the first stall, you start losing weight again. This is just what I've gathered from different stories.

shermak1
on 1/19/17 8:20 am
VSG on 06/26/15

Honestly, even though that was a while ago for me, I do remember starting to finally feel "myself" again after about 6 weeks. I was finally getting in enough calories and protein to start light exercise, I was seeing steady weight loss (like prev. poster said, that 3-week stall was a bummer, even though I was prepared for it), and I was no longer having the "what the heck did I do to myself?" moments. 

I don't think anything especially magical happens; no switch is automatically flipped. But things do get better! 

heidikat72
on 1/19/17 8:27 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

By two months out, you are back on solid food (making you feel like less of a "patient"), getting in fluids is much much easier, you have your routine down with the separating of food and fluid and getting your vitamins in, energy level is starting to increase as you can work out more.

Basically you are less of a patient and living your new "normal" life. The weightloss is starting to show in appearance and in general with how you feel which keeps you motivated.

Stay strong - this is an amazing journey!

armygalbonnie
on 1/19/17 8:34 am

Unfortunately, I'm 11 weeks out from surgery, and probably 5to 6 weeks of it have been stalls. I'm just a slow loser even though I'm doing everything by the book.  27 lbs before surgery, 16 gone 1st month, 8 second month and now 4 for the 3rd month.  This is scary to me, but I really only want to lose 25-30 more lbs.  Just be prepared for many stalls along the way.    At 2 months, it doesn't hurt to drink cold water anymore, I'm not tired, I actually have a lot of energy, food doesn't make me sick, and I'm good at making healthy choices.  There are many positives.

Stacy_WLS
on 1/19/17 9:10 am

Great post.  I need to get my husband to read it.  He just shy of a month out and super down about the surgery right now.  It sounds like a few more weeks and he could start to turn the corner.  

Hang in there.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

suzzzzz
on 1/19/17 9:21 am
VSG on 06/23/16

In addition to what other said, I began to really notice my clothing getting too big.. I finally got to wear some things that were uncomfortable so I never wore them. Now those things are way too big.  As for stalls, I've learned to let the frustration go for the most part because they have continued for me each month. But they always pass. I think since I feel so normal now and comfortable with my sleeve, I am along for the long haul journey instead of wanting the weight off yesterday.

Donna L.
on 1/19/17 9:22 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't know that there is any "magic" month.  I think there is psychological relief when we can eat more, though.  It's very difficult for many of us to, well, stop eating.  It has become such an ingrained habit.

I think two months is typically when most ha*****ange becomes cemented.  It's also been long enough you have healed decently.  A lot of surgical swelling goes down.  After any surgery, it takes about 2-3 months to feel decently again.

Progress is ongoing and long-term.  Real progress is what we choose to eat every day, not the number on the scale.  Good health is determined by our choices.  The weight is just a symptom of previous choices that were not the best.

Gwen M.
on 1/19/17 9:45 am, edited 1/19/17 1:45 am
VSG on 03/13/14

That tends to be the time when you're fully healed.  So there's no more fatigue due to the healing process.  Plus, most people have reached their "forever diet" at that point, which is a huge relief to no longer be in the post-op diet stages.  

And that's around the time we're cleared for activity beyond just walking!!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 28 views