Dizziness

Vegbeth
on 1/20/17 12:15 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

So I'm just over 3 weeks out from my sleeve surgery. Feeling pretty good most of the time, and very little pain. Meeting my protein and water goals. But I'm having some pretty concerning bouts of dizziness. Called the nurse practitioner at my bariatric practice yesterday and she didn't seem to concerned. Just wondering if anyone else dealt with this. 

Rachel B.
on 1/20/17 12:21 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

How are your overall calories?  Does it happen more when you are standing up?  Or getting up from laying down?

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/20/17 12:30 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you drinking enough fluids?  Dehydration can make you dizzy.

There's also a condition called orthostatic hypotension which can be common among WLS patients.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

heidikat72
on 1/20/17 12:51 pm, edited 1/20/17 4:51 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

By any chance are you on medication for high blood pressure? If so, you may need to have your dosage adjusted - talk to both your bariatric center and your primary doc. I was shocked at how quickly I had to start reducing the dosage of my meds - and it was several very scary dizzy spells that alerted me.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

idnas
on 1/20/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 08/05/16

I was having bouts of dizziness and it turned out that I needed to come off my blood pressure meds at the 1 month appointment. 

HW: 312 SW: 294 CW: 225

happyteacher
on 1/20/17 4:21 pm

Oh yes, and eventually realized it was from different reasons. Here are the common culprits:

1. Low blood sugar. Initially I was trying to do the under 40 carb thing, and my blood sugar was going low. Adjusted the carbs to fix this.
  2. Low sodium- the biggest problem turned out to be sodium. I was losing my balance at work, nearly passing out type issues. Docs in general did not seemed worried (cancer docs included), but it was a real problem for me. Finally at one of my vsg follow up appointments the doc noticed the low blood pressure, and that it was a trend. (It was low enough they kept thinking it was just a off reading at the other appointments.) She pulled did bloodwork, and suggested i drink 1 Powerade zero a day. That helped. Bloodwork came back and my sodium was way under normal. Made sense. My new eating was whole food based, nothing processed, and I didn't use any salt when preparing food. So, worked in including more sodium in the diet, took a sodium pill here and there, and sure enough once the sodium in the blood work got up to the higher end of the normal range no more dizziness.
  3. Medication needs to be adjusted. My husband lost 100 pounds with me. He was taking metformin and blood pressure medicine. With the weight loss, dizziness set in. It was his meds causing it. He was able to stop them entirely, and the dizziness resolved.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Vegbeth
on 1/20/17 5:11 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks for the replies. My blood pressure and pulse do tend to be low. In fact in the hospital they woke me up in the middle of the night because it was so low. I am getting plenty of fluids and meeting my protein but I do think my sodium levels must be low because I'm getting most of my protein from shakes not food. And eating very little food. It's good to know other people have dealt with it and it gets better. Thanks. 

Valerie G.
on 1/21/17 9:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With your BP being low naturally, it may be helpful to give it a little boost.  I have the same problem and simply added more salt to my diet and it worked wonderfully

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/17 5:55 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I had some tremendous problems with this for a little while after surgery.  I went from normal BP to low. It was low enough that the CRNP suggested I add some more salt into my diet.  I did that, drank even more water, and talked politics whenever possible.  All that helped quite a bit.  Every now and then I will still get a brief bout of lightheadedness, but for the most part my BP has returned to the low end of the normal range, and everything is fine.  For reference, I am a little over three months out from surgery.  

Readyjwc
on 1/21/17 12:39 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Politics....good one, Little Bill.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active