Too much fat?

Sammy_85
on 2/18/17 11:21 am - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Hi Everyone! My 1 year anniversary has come and gone and although I didn't meet my goal of 100 lbs lost, I'm still proud of what I've accomplished so far. I haven't been perfect; not by a long shot and I still struggle with cravings and emotional eating but I am getting a little bit stronger everyday. I have been doing very well since Christmas with my eating and tracking but my weight isn't moving much. On a typical day I eat about 700 calories, on a day when I'm working and have school, my calories tend to be a bit higher, usually around 800. I generally get about 80-90 grams of protein per day and keep my carbs below 35 grams. My concern is the amount of fat I'm eating. It can range anywhere from 30-40 grams per day. I've done a little bit of reading and it has me concerned that this is too high based on my calorie level. I would love to get some opinions because I'm at a loss myself. I should mention that I drink a lot of water but I don't exercise much except for being on my feet all day at work. Should I be exercising? Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!!

hollykim
on 2/18/17 11:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 18, 2017 at 7:21 PM Pacific Time, Sammy_85 wrote:

Hi Everyone! My 1 year anniversary has come and gone and although I didn't meet my goal of 100 lbs lost, I'm still proud of what I've accomplished so far. I haven't been perfect; not by a long shot and I still struggle with cravings and emotional eating but I am getting a little bit stronger everyday. I have been doing very well since Christmas with my eating and tracking but my weight isn't moving much. On a typical day I eat about 700 calories, on a day when I'm working and have school, my calories tend to be a bit higher, usually around 800. I generally get about 80-90 grams of protein per day and keep my carbs below 35 grams. My concern is the amount of fat I'm eating. It can range anywhere from 30-40 grams per day. I've done a little bit of reading and it has me concerned that this is too high based on my calorie level. I would love to get some opinions because I'm at a loss myself. I should mention that I drink a lot of water but I don't exercise much except for being on my feet all day at work. Should I be exercising? Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!!

what does a day's menu look like for you?

Sammy_85
on 2/18/17 1:47 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Hi, thanks for responding! I have a protein shake for my breakfast usually that has no carbs, 130 calories and 25 grams protein. For lunch it's usually a meat and a veggie, today I had a pork chop and roasted cauliflower for a total of 2 carbs, 215 calories, 11.6 grams of fat and 25 grams protein. For snacks today I have planned pork jerky, a small serving of snap peas, hummous, a mozzarella cheese string, and 10 olives (this is my two snacks for the day, not all at one time) and altogether this has 172 calories, 7 carbs, 10 grams of fat and 15 grams of protein, and for supper I'm having 100 grams of sliced smoked ham which has 100 calories, no carbs, 3 grams of fat and 18 grams of protein. So my totals for today are 618 calories, 10 carbs, 27 grams of fat and 83 grams of protein. Sorry for such a long post! I'll take any suggestions you might have!

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 1:14 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG - applause!  There's nothing wrong with what you're eating that I can see. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sammy_85
on 2/21/17 1:21 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks so much! I think I might just be in a stall right now. I'll keep doing what I've been doing and maybe add in some exercise to see if that helps a bit.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/18/17 11:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

For me, there is no such thing as too much fat. My first goal is always a calorie limit. If I do that, and carbs are low, everything else is fine.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sammy_85
on 2/18/17 1:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thanks! How low do you stay on carbs or how low would recommend for me? Is 800 calories too much?

Barbsleeved
on 2/19/17 5:04 pm
VSG on 08/22/14
On February 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller wrote:

For me, there is no such thing as too much fat. My first goal is always a calorie limit. If I do that, and carbs are low, everything else is fine.

Ditto. Never have tracked fat. 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/17 1:12 pm, edited 2/19/17 10:44 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Exercise helps me not only physically but mentally. Everybody can benefit from it. Our heart is a muscle; I want a strong heart.  I try to watch my fat intake because of the calories. I am in the losing phase. I am eating around 700 - 850 calories.  If I drink skim milk, compared to 2%, I have more calories available for protein. The same with cottage cheese, cheese, etc. Otherwise it seems I meet my calorie goal way too fast per day and haven't been able to get all of my protein in.  I track my calories, macros, etc. on another site, it automatically does it for me and it seems that my fat is averaging 30%, sometimes less or more. One of my downfalls is lightly salted roasted peanuts.  A good example of high fat, not high protein.  If I didn't eat them I could have room for more lean protein. Since my taste has changed, peanut**** the spot right now. I also use real butter.

*I went to my food tracking site and my fat intake varied from 28% to 48%.  Average last week was 36%. 

jroggiero
on 2/19/17 1:24 pm - Naples, FL
Suggestion.....I eat the "wonderful roasted & salted pistachios" individual serving bad. It has 10 g of fat, 6 g of carbs, 5 g of protein
Most Active