Ankle pain during preop diet?? Help

GAHP
on 2/22/17 6:50 pm

Hi everyone! I started my 2 week preop shake diet just yesterday morning. All the expected struggles are there, so no surprises on that. But I have been experiencing pretty strong recurring pain in both of my ankles and it is just so confusing and almost debilitating! I have also had  very mild throbbing like pain in my fingers. Anyone have this happen to them?? I read that from caffeine withdrawal you can have some body aches like as if with the flu, so maybe it's this? If so, then it is just a temporary thing from blood vessels or something. But if not and it doesn't go away I am truly concerned! Like is this temporary from the diet? Do I have some kind of condition I didn't know, or did my weight gain finally catch up to me and now my ankles are screwed up? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Oh, also, I haven't walked or in any way exercised since I started. I barely have had enough energy to keep up with my 2 year old...And this ankle pain! Will I still be able to reach my goal if I don't exercise as well?

Gwen M.
on 2/23/17 4:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would recommend calling your surgeon and asking.  

If this continues, get checked out by an orthopedist or podiatrist and seek physical therapy.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Stacy_WLS
on 2/23/17 6:35 am

Definitely see a doctor.  

Do you have any history of gout?  I wouldn't expect the pre-op diet to trigger it, but you never know.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

yvranx42
on 2/23/17 10:28 am, edited 2/23/17 2:29 am
VSG on 02/01/17

I was going to make the same comment about gout. My understanding is that most people (including me) first feel the pain from it in their big toes, but any joint can have a buildup of the uric acid crystals that cause the pain. To be sure, you'd need a blood test to assess your uric acid levels.

Gout can be triggered by rapid weight loss. My first attack was when I was on some crazy fad diet called Sadkhin that involved tiny accupressure balls taped to my ears. I lost a lot of weight quickly, and could barely walk from the pain. So it's possible that being on the pre-op diet, if it's causing you to drop a lot of weight, could trigger an attack. Best to talk to your doctor about it. Wish you all the best!

Most Active