Is my pain something to be concerned about?

MonaLyssa33
on 2/23/17 5:23 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I have 6 incision sites on my abdomen, 4 of them are on my right side, one is in the middle and the other is on the left. When I move my right side has a sharp burning-like pain not at any of the incision sites, but just below it. I'm guessing it might be related to the muscles that were affected when the instruments were put in. I mentioned it at the hospital and nobody seemed concerned about it. Also when I move around it feels like the muscles around my lungs are strained, if that makes sense. I've had a similar feeling when in high school I ran in a track meet and pushed myself too hard that I felt like my lungs were going to explode, then afterwards my chest muscles felt different. So I'm not feeling like my lungs are going to explode, just the after effects similar to my prior experience. I'm worried about a leak but the pain in different places is really the only thing that has me concerned. I'm not running a fever, I have not thrown up at all in the time since my surgery, I'm drinking and eating fine too.  I know shoulder pain is common with leaks, so I'm curious what exactly does the shoulder pain feel like? Is it like muscle tiredness, a sharp pain, achy?

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Rachel B.
on 2/23/17 6:05 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Shoulder pain is also common the week after surgery from the gas used to inflate the abdomen for surgery.  The pain under your sites very well be muscle.  I think I remember that lasting a few weeks until it healed.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

82much
on 2/23/17 6:10 pm
VSG on 11/28/16

I had very similar pains.  The surgeon kinda just blew them off at my one month appointment.   Fortunatley I had my yearly physical at work soon after, and the physician there explained how muscle was cut and how things could hurt in various ways.  Made a lot of sense.  Also asking here has helped a lot.  I too worried about a leak, but was told it would be VERY painfull, and not intermittent like the pains I get, and still do now at 12 weeks.  Like the burning under my left shoulder blade that pops up now and then.

Donna L.
on 2/23/17 6:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I would call the surgeon's office and ask at what point you should worry about your shoulder pain.  If you have a leak typically there is far more discomfort.  Don't hesitate to call them though, as that is why we pay them surgeon salaries!  They are the experts :)

I agree it's more likely gas.  

I had weird compression pain and nausea post-op and actually had another leak test.  The sleeve was fine, but Harvey is very sensitive to things, apparently, so I spent another 1-2 weeks on liquids.  My BMI was high and I don't sit still well to say the least, so I probably exerted myself way too much.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Jenrob73
on 2/23/17 8:19 pm

I just had my surgery on 2-15-17.  Today I started having the same burning type of pain between my incision sites and my belly button.  It started while curling my hair, I thought for a second that one of my incision sites pulled apart when I ev my arms behind my head.  But the pain is on the inside not the outside.  The MA at my Dr's office told me to take my pain meds.  I took some advil but it's still there off and on.

I found this site while searching for some answers.  I'm so happy I found it! 

roxytrim
on 2/24/17 3:27 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Welcome Jenrob 

Gwen M.
on 2/24/17 4:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Advil is an NSAID and you should NOT be taking it now that you've had weight loss surgery.  Did your doctor not give you actual pain medication?  If not, stick to Tylenol.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jenrob73
on 2/24/17 11:32 am

Yikes!!! I will get some Tylenol.  Thank you so much!  I dI didn't even think about the NSAID part.  I do have Norco's from surgery but they make me so sleepy, I hate taking them.  I'm happy to say the pain has stopped. I think it was heartburn or something.  

Donna L.
on 2/24/17 10:21 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Advil can cause bleeds and ulcers post-op for us, especially so close to surgery.  Please call your surgeon if your pain is too much to manage.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Readyjwc
on 2/24/17 2:36 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Glad you found us - welcome!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active