VSG and travel for work

Sukilana
on 2/24/17 5:13 pm
VSG on 01/10/17

Hello,

I am looking for input from people who travel a lot for work in regards to meals and meal planning. I am a consultant and frequently travel for work. My first trip since surgery is next week. I am anxious about what to eat, where to eat. Typically my clients organize lunches and dinners which are mostly foods that are not VSG friendly. 

So anyone with great tips and success stories please share. 

Donna L.
on 2/24/17 8:41 pm, edited 2/24/17 12:42 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I travel between two work sites.  I use a FitMark bag, which I want to say was recommended to me by White Dove.  It is amazing and goes everywhere, and keeps food cold for hours.  

I bring my own food everywhere.  I am honest as to why if asked ("I have a specific medical diet") and I have never had a client complain or be offended.  99% of the time I say "no thank you" and am never questioned.  Even if I forget my stuff there's always a way, usually, to find appropriate food.  Sandwiches?  Just eat the meat/cheese.  Donuts and eggs?  Eat the eggs, skip the donuts.  You can *always* stash protein drinks in a bag!  I use hippie pea protein shakes these days (another bit advice I got from the forums!) and I never have an issue.

I am dairy, gluten, and nightshade free, so if I can find crap to eat, anyone can. ;)  However, rarely, I can't.  At worst I fast.  How did a vet put it?  Hunger is no longer an emergency.  I can be hungry and not care.  I just eat later.

I have called restaurants ahead and asked to bring my own food, telling them I'd be happy to pay a plate fee, and none have ever argued.  None have ever argued.  That was Back in the Day when I was diabetic and low carb, and places really didn't have options.  These days most spreads have options.

If I am absolutely uncertain, I eat a meal of moderate protein and fat in advance.  These keeps me full for several hours.  If people are nosy and try to harass me into eating I refuse outright.  I've even had people put food on my desk I refused, like cake.

I made the facial expression equivalent of this: .....

At any rate, if you are motivated and clever there are always options.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Oneillch
on 2/25/17 8:20 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I haven't travelled much for work, but when I did, I didn't find it too difficult finding something to eat. Before I pack, I make sure to take some pre-portioned snacks like beef jerkey, roasted edamame, almonds, etc.

Breakfast in a restaurant is usually an eggwhite omlette with veggies. If it's a continental buffet, I skip the pastry & go for the hard boiled eggs or yogurt.

If dining out, usually I am able to find out where & look up the menu, then decide before I go & log it (not a chain restaurant, just find a similar dish at one that is). Most of the time I order an appetizer for my meal, but if you order an entree only eat half & ask the waitress to sub the potato or pasta with a salad or veg. You'd be surprised how accommodating most restaurants are now-a-days.

If sandwiches are served at lunch, I'd just have the protein and sometimes I will indulge & allow myself a chocolate chip cookie because every once in a while you need a little indulgence! 

Plan when you can, make smart choices when you can't, listen to your sleeve, & be sure to log what you're eating. You'll do fine!

Valerie G.
on 2/25/17 8:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I also do a lot of consultant work and haven't had any problems finding meat and vegetables in any city.  I can offer that Marriott Hotels will put together just about anything you ask, provided they have the ingredients in house. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Anita
on 2/25/17 8:58 am

My boyfriend and I travel many weekends so we are constantly eating out. First of all, I ALWAYS have a protein bar (or two or three) in my purse so I never have to worry about running into an emergency. I ALWAYS have several bottles of water or sugar free tea in the car and I stash premier protein boxes in my tote bag.....also for those emergencies. Of course, I'm rarely hungry and it's more an issue of getting the right amount of protein in, so sometimes I actually have to force myself to eat............who would have thought they'd say that before vsg??? For sure, not me!!!

Anyhow, what we've learned is that when we go to a restaurant, we share a meal.....by sharing, I mean I take about 1/4 of the meal and he takes the rest. He's really good about being supportive and never (or at least rarely)orders something that's taboo for me.....when he wants something I can't or won't eat, I just order an appetizer and most times I can't even finish those, so he gets that too.

I agree with what the others here are telling you in that there's generally something to eat at probably 90% of the places you go. Just stick with what you know works.....protein first, etc. If all else fails, and you can't find the right things on the menu, just tell the people you are with that you are on a special menu plan (someone else posted that and I apologize that I forgot who it was...sorry) and need to just stick with broth or tea....etc and then eat either before or after.

Most of all, don't let it make you crazy....that only leads to unnecessary emotional turmoil and the possibility of falling off the wagon. You CAN do this......once you've managed to get through the first time, it will not seem as daunting.

On top of that.....safe travels!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 46 views