When The Last Bite Was One Bite Too Many

AD_Jordan
on 2/28/17 5:31 pm

Kicking myself because I took one bite too many. Can't decide if a walk will help or hurt the situation.

Note to self: Don't forget to take a Test Bite!

I know everyone's experience is different, but I'm interested to know how y'all sense being "almost full", and also "OH, HECK!"  

One lady at WLS group says she starts burping. IIRC, I think someone here said they start sneezing?  

If you've gone "A Bite Too Far", does it return on you?

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

Rachel B.
on 2/28/17 6:00 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Nose running, hiccups.  Early on was a pain right under my breast bone.  once its too far, it feels like its backed up into my throat.  And my mouth starts filling with thick, slimy saliva.  Before surgery, vomiting for me was a neighborhood event.  The whole neighborhood could hear me, and it was like labor.  Since surgery, if I eat too much, all I have to do is open my mouth and bend over the toilet and it falls out.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Sukilana
on 2/28/17 6:04 pm
VSG on 01/10/17

I experienced it this past weekend and it's the worst feeling ever. Slimy saliva, full feeling... I ended up puking the slimies and swore to myself to chew chew chew and make sure I take my time between bites so that I can pay attention to how my tummy truly feels.

Cathy H.
on 2/28/17 6:24 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

This is why you have to measure everything you eat.  If you try to eyeball it, this is gonna happen sometimes.  I know I can eat only 3 oz of solid protein and maybe 1/4 cup of something else.  But most of the time it's only the protein.  An hour or so later I can eat veggies or whatever, but that depends on how long the protein stays with me.  I'm 4 months out and don't expect to be able to eat more than that at one time for quite a while.  I measure/weigh everything.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/17 7:26 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Great question! I can relate to everybody's posts.  The other night I drank quite a bit of water and went to eat a couple Tbsp. of cottage cheese for a snack.  I practically couldn't breathe and everything felt stuck.  The weirdest feeling, only had it happen once before, and all of a sudden white foam came out. No more snack for me.  If I had waited 30' after I drank water this would not have happened. I too can only eat up to 3 oz. protein and can barely eat anything else. Burping seems to be my mantra.  

Anita
on 2/28/17 8:38 pm

I learned pretty quickly about that one last bite......a hold over from what my Mom used to call being a member of the Clean Plate Club. What happened to me the two or three times I went too far was really miserable....luckily (or maybe not) I only threw up one time, but at that point I was so uncomfortable, it didn't help anyway. Now, once I start to get close, I get a runny nose so if I'm in a restaurant where I can't measure, etc, I do the best I can. Every now and then I eat a little more than I have realized. The first few times it happened, I got really hot and sweaty (not the drippy kind of sweaty, but just feeling clammy sweaty) and then I'll got the hiccups for a while. I think that I've pretty much gotten a handle on it and don't run into trouble too often....certainly not the really extreme kind. Usually now I only get hiccups if I've eaten too fast.

The other thing that seems to happen is that once I'm full, I can't seem to swallow anything else. I was out with a friend last night and when my meal came, I cut off a piece that looked to be the right size, put the rest in my take out container that I had asked for right away and started eating slowly. I did just fine and finished my protein. I wanted some of the veggies and ate one string bean.....started on the second one, took one small bite and had a hard time swallowing....it was like my mouth and throat said ....oh no you don't. So, I put my fork down and all was good.....no hiccups. I took my food home and it will make 3 more meals for me.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Erin T.
on 3/1/17 10:03 am
VSG on 01/17/17

This happens to me too! I thought I was just weird. Most of the time I have hiccups when I'm approaching full, but if I don't I all of a sudden wont' be able to coordinate my muscles to swallow anymore. I've actually spit out food because of this! 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/17 11:36 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Exactly, Erin.  It felt kind of scary.  Yes, I spit it out too.  It was volcanic if you know what I mean, no control.

AD_Jordan
on 2/28/17 9:50 pm

OMG! I cannot tell you how many times I heard about getting a "Clean Plate Badge" growing up!!

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

ocean4dlm
on 3/1/17 2:49 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Eating "under my sleeve" is a skill I've been working on since my 05/15 VSG. I focus on the comfort and pleasure from stopping below that limit, as opposed to the discomfort of taking that extra bite. In my obsess life, I was focused on "there may not be enough for me later, so I'd better eat all I want now". Now, I try to look at food as fuel, and recognize that I don't always have to "top off the tank" for my body to operate effectively.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views