Visited the ER yesterday.

Rubydoo11917
on 3/19/17 9:30 am
VSG on 01/19/17

So, for several weeks I have had a hard time eating anything. Tummy feeling icky all the time, eat 1 bite and instantly nausea kicks in. After about 4 bites, I just can't take any more. Fluids are way down, less than 30 oz a day. Called my surgeon, they put me back on fluids for 48 hrs, then onto soft foods again. The other day I finally decided that I am lacking on everything, so kind of put me in a different mind set. Decided some mash potatoes sounded good, and something not so good for me was better than getting nothing at all. So, I had 5 or 6 small bites, and oh my it tasted amazing and also felt amazing in my tummy. Thought I could eat a little more, so I had some no sugar added peaches, which hit the spot too. When I was finished with the peaches I just sat there looking at my husband. I told him how happy my tummy felt. It didn't hurt, didn't feel icky, no nausea, full but not over full, I was in heaven. The next day I had to work. Had to decide what I was going to have for lunch. Well, the mashed potatoes and peaches did so well the day before, that is what I took. Mistake. I couldn't even swallow the potatoes. Didn't make any since. My energy level has been zero, and I have a very physical and mental job. It has been a challenge getting thru the first half of my day, let alone having to work a whole day because I don't have any vacation time/PTO built up. Got home yesterday and has an emotional melt down. I new getting my sleeve would bring challenges. But, I thought the challenges would come and go. I went to the ER with the mind set that they were either going to fix me or put me down like a dog. After 4 hours in the ER, having test run and getting fluids they informed me that yes I was dehydrated like I thought. But also my kidney functions were down and my potassium level was down to 2.9. Apparently at that level I could have gone into cardiac arrest. So, along with my 2 1/2 bags of fluid, I got a bag of potassium and they wanted me to take 3 horse pills of potassium. They cut them in half, but I was only about to get 4 of the halves in me. Left with a RX for potassium and nausea meds.

Any advise you all have would be so appreciated. I know I need to not go down this road again. Trust me, I felt so much better after getting the fluids, I am hoping this kind of gives me a fresh start so to speak.

White Dove
on 3/19/17 11:16 am - Warren, OH

This is common during the first six months. The important thing to do is get your fluids in. Dehydration is very hard on the body. Just because someone tells you that you are ready for solid foods that does not mean that your body will agree.

Sip water, walk, and learn to meet your protein goal with protein shakes.

As your body heals, you will be able to eat again.

In a year, this will be all a memory.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 3/19/17 11:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Drink drink drink. Dont worry about eating. The number one cause of hospitalization after WLS is dehydration, by far.

Dont worry about food so much. Drink.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nura777
on 3/19/17 11:57 am

Misery is the recipe for your life now. You like me and everyone else thought you can live a normal life without most of your stomach! You can't. This is now your new normal.

Erin T.
on 3/19/17 2:08 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Oh hey look, you're back to spread cheer again.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Gwen M.
on 3/19/17 2:37 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Please take your trolling elsewhere.

My life is awesome without most of my stomach.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hollykim
on 3/20/17 11:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Pacific Time, Nura777 wrote:

Misery is the recipe for your life now. You like me and everyone else thought you can live a normal life without most of your stomach! You can't. This is now your new normal.

sorry, but not "everyone" thinks life will be normal after WLS.I for one, knew it would be different and was/am ok with that.

AggieMae
on 3/21/17 2:48 am
VSG on 10/25/16
On March 19, 2017 at 6:57 PM Pacific Time, Nura777 wrote:

Wow. Seriously?

happyteacher
on 3/21/17 2:31 pm

To the OP,

Not your new normal. Just the healing process, take heart. As others posted before, fluids. If protein shakes sit to heavy, try Isopure. It drinks more like koolaid- one bottle of that will get at least half of the protein you need along with your fluids. You can get it at places like Gnc or Vitamin World. I did the green one, apple something. Not fantastic tasting, but very tolerable. I used that a lot for the first few weeks and eventually progressed to regular shakes. Just buy one bottle to try at first, as they are not cheap and you don't want to load up on something you don't tolerate well.

Also, becoming lactose intolerent post vsg is somewhat common. Maybe check to see if that is causing issues. Some shakes are lactose free.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Donna L.
on 3/19/17 3:49 pm, edited 3/19/17 8:51 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'm sorry you had to go through that! It is definitely atypical. Drinking is far more important than eating at this point. I would prioritize fluids over all things. Don't even worry about the food.

Nausea is actually a huge sign of dehydration. Drinking is far more important than eating at this point. I would prioritize fluids over all things. Don't even worry about the food.

Carry a water bottle everywhere. Sip, sip, sip, sip. Get Morton's lite salt - it has a crapload of potassium in it, and that helps tremendously. I would fill 3 28oz blender bottles and put 1/4 a teaspoon of the lite salt in each with a squirt of mio. I drank those all day, refilled at night the same way, repeated the next day. I bring one to work and make sure that I drink 3 during a 14 hour shift. Just keep taking small sips all day close to surgery and you will be okay. I also add a bit of liquid magnesium citrate to mine now, to help with muscle cramps and electrolyte stuffs.

The mashed potatoes probably made you feel better because they are often high in salt and electrolytes (calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium are all electrolytes).

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active