Keto and Sleeve

MissNexxie
on 3/24/17 8:52 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Hi All,

Dealing with some regain due to (insert many excuses here) and working my way back towards where I want to be. Carb monster, be damned! I succeed the best at low carb and am entertaining the idea of going keto (High fat, low carb) instead of typical low carb which is more high protein, low carb. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY protein forward, always. I love my meat, eggs, cheese, etc. Just wondering if a sleeve can deal with the higher fat content. Had gallbladder removed 2 yrs ago. Have been on Prevacid for years but am weaning myself off that, too, just to try and limit meds in my life. Acid is not too bad, so far, after 4 days.

Looking for people's experiences with keto and the sleeve. Oh, and how strict are you with calories on Keto? I feel like I should know all this but still am looking to hear others' advice/info.

Many thanks,

Deb

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Anita
on 3/24/17 12:39 pm

I wish I could be of some help, but I can't, so instead I'll simply wish you well. Let us know how this works out for you please.

I also do my best with lo-carb and am a meat-cheese lover. I'm okay with the healthy carbs, but it's always been my problem that once I start with the processed carbs, I'm in trouble. I've been really good since my surgery, but I have my days when I feel like I could eat a whole Italian bread slathered with butter......but the one time I allowed myself, I made it to two slices and was stuffed......that's the good thing about our sleeve....it limits the damage (hopefully)

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

AggieMae
on 3/24/17 5:54 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have been on a me to diet since getting off liquids. 1 gr carb:4 gr protein.

I feel great my hair isn't falling out and my skin is bright. There has only been one week in the past 5 months that I didn't lose weight. I don't know why my ticket doesn't show up but I've lost 60 pounds as of last monday.

AggieMae
on 3/24/17 6:00 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have a new tablet and the spell check has a mind of its own!

I was sleeved 10\25 and have been on a keto diet for about 4 months. I do not have a gallbladder. I add extra fat, to get extra calories, two days a week but other that that I don'****ch fat at all.

I'm down from a (tight) size 24 to a size (well fitting) size 16!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 3/25/17 10:13 am
VSG on 08/29/16

Keto is how I've been going. I strive for 1200 or so calories, 90+ grams of protein and 90+ ounces of fluids. I keep my carbs in the 20-40 range 95% of the time. Occasionally I bump up intentionally to around 60 for 2 days followed by 2 days of zero carbs. I do this when my weight loss and inches is a 1 pound loss and less than a 1/2 inch in a week. I could care less about fat content. It works for me.

califsleevin
on 3/25/17 7:08 pm - CA

You are going to have to watch your calories, as this is where many skew out and get into regain trouble - they can do a HFLC/keto/"full fat everything" diet their first few months post-op when dietary style matters little and then get complacent as their capacity grows and they let their calories get away from them, which is quite easy with the higher caloric content of fats. Clinically, these diets are used for non-WLS gastrectomy patients who need to avoid or minimize their weight loss and ultimately gain weight back, so the bias for weight gain is certainly built in there, irrespective what YouTube diet gurus may claim, so you need to learn how to use that diet as a tool for your needs. It's worth a try, but don't expect miracles - it's still primarily a calorie game no matter how one slices it.

If adding some fat will help your overall satiety enough to cut down on your total calories, then go for it. As fats generally fall in between carbohydrates and proteins on both response time and duration of satiety, and you are already inclined to be lower carb, adding fats in preference to proteins will probably not be a big help. But since, like most everything else in this game, satiety is not just a simple matter of what macros satisfy longer - most foods and particularly meals, are combinations of the three big macros and their relative satiety interplay with each other, it is up to some experimentation to see what works for you. For me, the most satisfying meals are salads that combine carbohydrates (vegetables and fruits), fats (cheese, avocado, dressing) and protein (meat and cheese) and works better than something more heavily biased towards protein or fats themselves - but that's me, YMMV.

On your acid problem, a common help in weaning off the PPI (which is what you have to do typically) it is often helpful to substitute Zantac or Pepcid for part of the PPI dose as you work off of it, as those are a different class of drug, then wean off of the Zantac. Also, Zantac/Pepcid as a class are often regarded as being particularly effective for overnight reflux, so it is best to take them in the evening and then the lower PPI dose in the morning. It's worth a try if the lower PPI dose by itself isn't quite enough.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

shunt1960
on 3/27/17 11:29 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

I have been on a Keto eating plan since January. I keep my calories 800-900, carbs 20-35, protein I get at least 100 grams a day. That's how I got my weight off from the beginning. Working on some re-gain as I let life get in the way and gained 60 lbs. I've lost 50 of that since I got back on track.

SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

Barbsleeved
on 3/28/17 2:54 pm
VSG on 08/22/14

I've seen a few sleevers be very successful losing the regain with Keto (VSGTANYA2011 a youtube vlogger is one). I tried it for a couple of weeks for a few pounds of regain and felt terrible. I even gained a little weight. I'm just going back to what worked for me, which was high protien, moderate fat and low carb and sugar. Kind of Keto but not as hardcore and focused on macros. I already feel better and am losing again ;)

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

Most Active