Any luck with Essential Oils for hunger or skin shrinking back

Sabrina J.
on 3/29/17 8:22 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Has anyone had Essential Oils help them with hunger or their skin shrinking back? What about using them internally post op? Of course I will ask my Dr. about post op but I wanted to hear from you experts.

AggieMae
on 3/30/17 12:57 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Oil helps with hunger because it is high in calories and it's also important to have some oil (fat) in your diet to support healthy cells. But the type of oil, in rather xase, doesn't matter much. some oil, like fish oil, is probably more nutritious. Moisturizer helps the appearance of skin but can't shrink it.

Sabrina J.
on 3/30/17 10:23 am, edited 3/30/17 3:24 am
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi - The oils I am talking about are essential oils, not fats, like lemon, ginger, orange, lavender, oregano, etc. They contain no fact or calories. I do agree with you that E-Omegas are very healthy and needed! I also agree with moisturizer, I have been using coconut oil, it is very dry where I live and it helps, plus it is fragrant free and has no chemicals. Thank you for your reply and your activity on this forum, I am learning soooo much!

Gwen M.
on 3/30/17 11:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One thing to be very careful with if looking into using essential oils internally is that many are NOT safe for consumption. So you've got to make sure you do your research to find ones that are.

It's also important to note that any claims of health benefits are not FDA approved and don't need to be backed by actual scientific data/studies.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sabrina J.
on 3/30/17 11:47 am
VSG on 04/10/17

We have used them for years and luckily I am experienced in which ones are consumable---but I will absolutely ask the Dr. when he feels I will be able to consume them. No way do I want to upset my stomach, I am already a little freaked that Titanium staples will be in there! I have never had surgery, a broken bone (even in my sports playing years) or been in the hospital, accept to have my babies and that was a breeze. So - ya I am nervous but so many on this forum keep me in check and I have read over and over again that people would do it again and wish they would have done it sooner. I do realize it will be work and not a breeze, but I am ready for it! Thanks Gwen!!

Gwen M.
on 3/30/17 4:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly nothing will cause your skin to shrink back more than it already might. (I.e., if it's not going to happen, you can't make it happen.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sabrina J.
on 3/30/17 10:27 am
VSG on 04/10/17

Darn! I see that you are super active on the forum, thank you for your advice, I have been learning so much and feel supported! Congrats on your accomplishments!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/30/17 11:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The only use for essential oil that's been scientifically-proven is for mood. Some scents can lower stress, but that's about it. There's no proven benefit to ingesting oils, and they won't do squat for your skin.

Sadly, there's no way to shrink skin aside from having plastic surgery. The amount of loose skin you have is dependent on things like age, heaviest weight, and genetics, and all the lotions/oils/creams in the world won't shrink it back.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sabrina J.
on 3/30/17 12:15 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Hi Julie! We use a lot of essential oils and internally too with great results (must be careful as to which brands, not all can be consumed). We have seen benefits for years. I was really hoping someone had some first hand experience at ingesting then after surgery and on the skin to help repair/strengthen/elasticity - Darn! I will definitely follow what my Dr. says - in no way do I want to upset my stomach etc...I am a bit nervous about the surgery--so no messing around! Hoping genetics are good!!!

There is a study coming out from Johns Hopkins sometime this spring/summer about Essential Oil Efficacy other than mood. There are some great articles including one from The Journal of infectious Disease & Prevention Medicine.

https://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/essential-oils-and-future-antibiotics-new-weapons-against-emerging-superbugs-2329-8731.1000105.php?aid=14230

Valerie G.
on 4/1/17 11:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Unfortunately, overstretched skin is permanently damaged. It's a total crap shoot. Little can be done to repair it. To get an inkling of your odds of what will be at skin recovery, consider your (or your mother's) stomach after pregnancy. Expect something like that, but worse.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active