seeking advice on revision sugery

memeorama
on 4/26/17 6:41 pm
VSG on 01/01/12

Had the sleeve 5 years ago, since then I have gained back most of the weight. I have complusive eating disorder and did not seal with it before sugery. I have recently started taking medication for it and I am getting it under control. I am now contemplating revision surgery. Wondering if anyone has has a revision done, has it helped, any additional side effects etc.. I still get quite a bit of heartburn even with medication and not sure if a revision will make it worse. Any advise would be apreciated. ( please excuse my bad spelling and typing!)

I

Grim_Traveller
on 4/27/17 2:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

What revision are you contemplating? And besides the medication, what are you doing to address the compulsive eating?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

memeorama
on 4/27/17 10:28 am
VSG on 01/01/12

Thank you for your reply, my doctor prescribe a medication for my anxiety ( I have panic disorder) that seems to be helping my eating a bit, i have an appointment to go back and discuss with him and see if we need to try something else. I have been to therapy over the years and know what causes my eating but I find it very hard to control but I know I have to actively work on it. As for the revision type I am not sure I was going to see what the Dr. recommends.

Gwen M.
on 4/27/17 5:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist as well for your compulsive eating problems? (I don't think that something called Compulsive Eating Disorder exists - is this Binge Eating Disorder?)

Have you talked with a surgeon to check out your sleeve and see if there are any physical problems with it?

I would recommend, due to the acid alone, that you look into revision to RNY because the sleeve will just make it worse and RNY tends to resolve it.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

memeorama
on 4/27/17 10:42 am
VSG on 01/01/12

Thank you for your reply, technically I have panic disorder and I eat in response to it so according to the Dr. I have panic disorder and yes, binge eating disorder((is the correct term)because of it. This is a result of my medication , which I was on for years being cut off some years ago ( I lost job had no ins. etc..) and I began to compensate for it by eating for some comfort. Once I regained the ability to pay for the medication my new doctor ( been to a few) would not prescribe it for me, seems doctors now days are afraid to prescribe certain medications but I was in therapy for years and medication was only prescribed after it was determined that i really needed it. So that is where we are now, I have been prescribed a depression/anxiety type of medication which is helping a bit but nowhere near a good as what i was taking before, so I am still struggling but trying to keep myself in check. I am going to make an appointment to have my sleeve checked and I will take your recommendation and ask about the RNY because the acid reflux is killing me!

Valerie G.
on 4/27/17 7:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Okay, so you're living proof that weight loss surgery is not a cure for eating disorders. Are you absolutely sure you're in need of a revision, though? It may be that the sleeve is just fine, but what you're eating is what caused you to regain your weight. If you haven't already confirmed the condition of your sleeve, you may want to do so. If it's fine, you may want to try for a while on your own to see if you can regain control. You might find that the sleeve is still a valuable tool.

Some do find that they needed something more than the sleeve all along, and opt for a revision that adds malabsorption. Some surgeons will revise it to a RNY, and that might give you some relief with reflux (if it's not the result of a hernia). The other option is to revise to the DS (and you're halfway there already), which will keep the sleeve stomach and all working parts of the stomach operating as designed, and add an intestinal change to alter how you metabolize the food.

Nothing is a magic bullet, so the most important thing is what you're doing right now in regaining control of your disorder, and bravo to you for doing that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

memeorama
on 4/27/17 10:23 am
VSG on 01/01/12

Thank you for your response, I will take your advise and make an appointment to have my sleeve checked out because although I can eat quite bit more than I could after surgery I still can not eat nearly as much as I could (at one time) before surgery so my sleeve is still OK, maybe??

Valerie G.
on 4/28/17 6:34 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It most definitely could be. I'm 12.5 years out from my DS (I have a sleeve stomach too), and while I could eat little more than a couple of bites at first, I can easily eat 8-12oz of food now. It's much more, but nowhere near my pre-op stomach capacity, and perfectly normal. The stomach is expected to stretch "some", so your sleeve could be perfectly fine. You may find it not nearly as easy to lose now though, but it's still working.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

memeorama
on 5/3/17 4:38 pm
VSG on 01/01/12

thank you for your response, yes my seleve may be ok considering what you have said. I can eat about 6 oz of dense food at one time, meat etc.. but much more of food that chews down to lesser volume. I am cutting out carbs and trying to lolse a bit before I go see the Dr. in a month or so, so we will see.

happyteacher
on 4/28/17 3:42 am

What Valerie said. Also, cut carbs and stick to lean protein, shakes and green leafy veggies. After 3 or 4 days of that you should feel more restriction.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active