Six week Post Op Appointment

Manda32
on 4/28/17 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I had my six seeks post op appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday. It went pretty well. I'm down 28 lbs from my surgery date. 44 lbs since having to do my liquid diet for two weeks before surgery. He was very please with my weight loss.

I've been still struggling to consistently get my minimum fluids in. Some days I exceed it somedays I get close. He said that's probably partially why my energy level is still low, plus still recovering from major surgery.

I'm tolerating foods well. I luckily having no problems with eggs, or dairy, like I hear some people have. Good thing because I can't have red meat, and don't like seafood, so my meat choices/high protein food choices are very limited. Chicken goes down well too.

I had asked him what size bougie he used for my surgery, said he doesn't use bougie. I can't remember what exactly he said he used, but whatever device he used was a 34 french (says a very small sleeve).

He told me that there are reports by what he calls so called experts that you should be using 40 bougie or smallest 38. He said no point in doing a surgery with a 40 bougie as it won't do much for you. Still be able to eat too much. I asked him if my sleeve was comparable to a 38 and he said no much smaller than that, so I'm thinking whatever device he used its comparable to a bougie. Sounds like I got the second smallest size, as I've heard people get 32 bougie sizes. I've heard about them on this website and in doing my research. I was just curious on the size of my sleeve.

He did tell me something that I didn't know. He said around the 2 to 3 mark many studys show that the sleeve does stretch some, and the hope is that by then you have gottened into better eating habits to combat this increase in size.

I've read not just on this website but others that people will say around year three that they are gaining weight and don't know why. Got me thinking, maybe that far out you think your capacity is set, and don't realize your eating a bit more and more and gain a bit of weight. I thought pretty much by the end of the first year, your capacity is set, and yes the thought of a bit of stretching over time had occurred to me, as I've heard people seem to eat a bit more as they get further out, but having my surgeon tell me there are studies that prove this, and this is normal around this time frame, gives me more insight.

Overall I'm happy with my progress. The last two weeks my weight loss has slowed to 2 lbs a week. It's a bit disappointing, but I know I shouldn't be. Its still weight loss. It so hard not to compare yourself to others who lose huge amounts the first few months. I was/am hoping double digit loss for my second month, but not so sure. I know I should still be happy with my progess.

For people who are about six weeks out or remember, how much were you eating at this point? My center really only says in the beginning you will probably be only to eat a couple tablespoons and work up to half a cup. Doesn't really say when they expect you to get to half a cup...

I can eat about an oz of meat, with maybe a couple veggies. Depends on the day. I can now eat 1 scrambled egg. The first week and half it was half an egg. Does this sound about right to any of you?

Also, did you center or doctor every tell you a calorie limit on this stage? Mostly I hear at this stage don't be concerned with calories, get your fluids and protein in. I know generally they want you eating no more than 800 calories during your losing phase, I just wonder if that range is now, or later on. I've probably been more around 500 calories a day. I've had a couple days I've been in the mid 700s, but mostly around 500.

Any insight advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Erin T.
on 4/28/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Everything sounds pretty normal to me. At my 6 week visit I was around 1.5oz of dense protein, 1 egg and I could do a whole 5.3oz yogurt since it's a slider. At 14 weeks I can do 2oz of meat or 1 egg plus 1/2oz of cheese and the yogurt stays the same.

At that stage I was getting 500-550. At 14 weeks I get 600-700/day. My NUT wants me around 800 by 6 months and 1,000 by one year (or maintenance). At this point I could add more calories by adding higher calorie foods but I choose not to. I keep my carbs very low, and I still don't even eat veggies as I've been directed to not do so until I can get in all my protein.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Gwen M.
on 4/28/17 5:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think the reason people start to gain weight back is because they stop paying such close attention to their eating and let old habits creep back in. I feel like people don't always realize that "eating right" is something you have to do for your entire life - not just until you make your weight goal. It's a forever diet. :)

I was only eating protein (no veg****il I could do 4 ounces per meal. At 6 weeks post-op I had just started solid foods, so I was probably doing 1-2 ounces depending on how dense the protein was. Fish? 3-4 ounces. Steak? 1-2.

My NUT never gave me a calorie range, just a protein and liquid goal.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/17 5:38 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

That all sounds right on target. At 4 weeks out I am eating 400-500 calories on most days with a few 600 calorie days thrown in. I can eat about 1-1.5oz of chicken or beef, 3oz of fish, 2oz of scrambled egg.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views