Hiatal Hernia Repair, Gallbladder Removal and DS on same day???

ALighterMe 1.
on 5/12/17 3:15 pm

I am having my revision from VSG to DS in June but also have a hiatal hernia that needs to be repaired, on top of that I want to have my gallbladder removed so that I don't have to come back again in a year or so like I have heard others have. Does anyone have experience with doing all three on the same day? If so, how was your recovery? Any complications? Did your recovery seem to take longer than expected? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ALighterMe 1.
on 5/12/17 3:20 pm

Sorry meant to post this on the DS forum, but if anyone else on this forum has had the same thing except with the VSG please let me know your experience as well. Thank you.

sampeck
on 5/12/17 3:44 pm
VSG on 05/22/17

I am pre op (10 days away!) but having my gallbladder removed at the same time. I would love to hear some wisdom from anyone who has been through it. From what my surgeon has told me, the surgery will take a little longer but the recovery time should be about the same. There is a slim chance that they won't take the gallbladder out if for some reason there are complications while doing the VSG. I have been eating low fat and low cholesterol as well as the typical pre op diet and will continue that post op. They should be able to use the same port/incision to pull out the gallbladder and stomach but not all the ports are the same, so there would be more incisions. All that being said, my surgeon still recommended doing it all at once. No experience with the hernia, but good luck!

califsleevin
on 5/12/17 4:43 pm - CA

I can't comment specifically, but my doc routinely removes the gallbladder with his DS procedures (but only as necessary for his VSGs), and hiatal hernia repairs are also routine with WLS procedures, so I don't see any big showstoppers with doing a triple play such as this. Some may experience some difference in their post-op hospital recovery while others don't.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

happyteacher
on 5/12/17 7:06 pm

I had the gallbladder out along with a large hiatel hernia repaired on the same day. That was Ok. I have been through double digit numbers of major surgery, and typically get released from the hospital in less than 24 hours. With this combo of a surgery, it took an extra day recovery in the hospital. Back to work 2 weeks or so later. But that was a LOT of surgery for one day. I would get a second opinion on if adding in the ds is Ok. It might be just fine- I don't know... but a second opinion would be a good idea just to confirm.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

califsleevin
on 5/13/17 7:52 am - CA

I never looked at that as being a lot of surgery, as those are both routine added components of the basic DS, which is already a longer procedure than typical bariatrics, but not necessarily for surgery in general. IIRC, their DS typically took 2.5-4 hours, and sometimes longer for some patients who bring more complications to the table. I guess it's a matter of what the surgeons are used to. With your hernia repair and gallbladder job, those are in different distinct locations done under the same anesthesia, while with the DS, the gallbladder is right there when they are doing the switch (indeed, that's why he routinely combines them, as he doesn't want a general surgeon going in there later for it and getting lost in the altered anatomy.) For the same reason, they normally do an appendectomy as part of the DS as well - but they are already in there playing with and measuring the intestines so it adds little time or effort.

I guess everything is relative - to a guy running a lapband assembly line, this would be a long and involved surgery, while to a transplant surgeon it's an easy walk in the park. But, second opinions are always a good idea, particularly for revisions or repairs.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

happyteacher
on 5/13/17 3:58 pm

I should clarify. I was not referring to the time under the knife, but rather what your body has to deal with for recovery. As mentioned, it might be just fine... I don't know. I would get a second opinion though. One thing I do know is that revision is high risk and you don't want to be the patient the doctor is trying to figure that out on.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active