Fresh milled flour, bread, and gut health- a follow-up post

happyteacher
on 5/18/17 11:01 am

I posted a week or two ago that I started milling my own flour to make homemade bread. During my weight loss phase I ate minimal bread and continued that for some time. A year and a half ago I had my gallbladder out and a (second) very large hiatel hernia repaired, leaving me with constant issues with digestion. I was taking crappy medicine to keep things under control, and in general was not feeling to great.

Enter the homemade bread made with freshly milled flour. Originally, I was just trying to improve the quality of bread we were eating and saving us from spending $8 a loaf at Great Harvest. I have to be careful, too much (and with jam) can spike my blood sugar levels too. Turns out a slice with a little butter is fine on the blood sugar levels, and the surpise awesomeness is how much better I am feeling. I have not had to take that crappy medicine since returning whole grains to my diet daily.

Now the last hurdle will be monitoring weight. If my weight spikes that will cause me to reevaluate again. So far managing sugar like cravings, or at least they are similar to what they were prior to the bread.

Please note that the flour you buy in the stores are aweful and are stripped of the important parts of the wheat berry- even if labeled whole grain. That is critical. Normal crappy bread doesn't count. I use my dry blender on my Vitamix to mill the flour- fast and easy.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

diane S.
on 5/18/17 11:13 am

So where do you get the unground wheat? Is it the old style European wheat? I have heard that its very different from the hybridized stuff around here. Sounds intriguing. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happyteacher
on 5/18/17 4:40 pm

My first batch was from Whole Foods. They have it in the bulk section. Use hard red wheat for bread. Then I wanted to try making bread from soft white berries. (Soft white was not as good for bread, better suited for cookies, pastry, etc.). The soft white I ordered from Amazon and it was the Palosa brand or something close to that. Since then, I have been poking around online. About 2 hours from my house are locations where I can buy 50 pounds for $7 (nonorganic). Whole foods was $1.29 per pound for organic. You can also check your local food coops. I also found on Amazon a 25-pound bucket of hard white berries for $15ish, shipping included. There are groups that go in and make bulk orders with a specific delivery date. That doesn't work for me because it comes on a work day, but those types of groups have different options that might work. Finally, I am reading online that you can find it in health food stores, but I have not checked yet. At this point, I am looking to buy 50 pounds at a time to reduce cost. Hubby and I will go for a Sunday drive once I use up what I have to check out the country store that stocks all of this stuff in bulk.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active