Do you ever have unfounded worries about your weight loss?

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/17 11:12 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I always worry about what I am eating. It's ridiculous because I know I am under my carb limit and calorie limit most days, but at nights I will think to myself "You've eaten way too much today." I will have to go and consult My Fitness Pal and will look at everything and think things like "Maybe I should have picked a lower carb option" and things of that nature. These thoughts are especially bad when I weigh myself and I haven't lost anything in a few days. Part of my brain knows I'm being silly. I barely get past 600 calories and 30 carbs most days, so logically I know that I'm not going to suddenly start gaining all my weight back. The other part of my brain dwells on it all the time though and some nights I just stay awake worrying over it.

Have any of you experienced worries like that? How did you ease them?

MissNexxie
on 5/27/17 6:38 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I think these worries are understandable to a degree because of the surgery being such a huge life change and wanting to 'do it right' this time. That said, it's important to let that clearer part of your mind prevail and ensure you are reaching your protein and water targets every day as well as taking all your vitamins. The carbs you get from the veggies you eat are not a culprit and likely at this point you're not able to tolerate much of then anyway so unless you're getting your carbs from sugar, it's probably all good. If you feel you're having disordered or obsessive thinking then a therapist can help you manage those thoughts.

Be sure not to start cutting back on calories/food etc because of these thoughts. Your body still needs fuel to run, just like a car. Are you working with a nutritionist to help you manage your food plan, etc? they can help you to view your food plan more objectively and see the value in what you eat.

And remember, there will be pauses in weight loss all though this journey as your body adjusts to different calorie levels, different 'fuel', different activity levels, as well as very fast weight loss, etc. There is a balancing act occurring within your body to ensure it's running properly. Personally, I'd lose very sporadically, small losses for 2 weeks of the month, one week with a bigger loss and usually one week without a loss. Once I recognized the pattern I was able to relax much more. But, I also had a problem with reluctance to increase my calories and once I did that, even by 100 calories, I actually lost better. I was actually taking in too few calories and had more success around 900 cals per day but still low carb/high protein. (This is my experience, and I'm not qualified to counsel you to do this, only a medical professional can).

Keep up the good work - it takes patience but you will get there. You're already on the journey and look how well you're doing!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 7:39 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Thank you! I do hit my protein marks almost every day, somedays I will fall short, but I always try to prioritize protein items. The carbs I get come from potatoes, so they aren't great I don't think, but I do try to make sure never to go over 40 carbs a day. Generally I am under 30 on an average day. I think a lot of it is just mental worries, not actual worries. I have to keep repeating to myself "you're doing okay, you're doing okay" lol. Though, the obsessive worrying is something I will be bringing up with my therapist, because I don't want things to go in a very negative direction where I start limiting my already limited meals.

I think the pauses in weight loss drive me crazy the most! I tell myself "Only weight once a week" then I step on it every day anyway. I should just lock it in a closer and give someone else the key because I am more focused on the scale even when I KNOW I'm losing inches not just weight, I can feel it in my clothes, my car, everything around me pretty much. It's funny how our minds work, sometimes they can be our enemy!

MissNexxie
on 5/27/17 8:03 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I hear you on the scale thing. I was a chronic daily weigher, in fact I'd weigh multiple times per day and based on that number I'd have a good day or a bad day. When I had my surgery I put the scale away and vowed to only weigh once per week on Wednesday during the WL phase. It helped me tremendously to focus not on a number but on the whole weight loss experience (meal planning, journaling, exercise, mindful eating, etc, basically everything BUT the number). I read a lot on this forum about people stressing because the scale hadn't moved in a couple days or having a stall and I knew I could easily become that person, as well, after surgery. It was NOT easy for me the first month or two. My life used to revolve around that number and it was my glory and my downfall, but helped me so much in the long run. I highly suggest trying it. You don't have to 'hide' the scale but that fact that its not out on the floor makes it easier to not to weigh that day.

Also, if I might suggest - get away from potatoes. They are still a starchy carb that converts to glucose in your system during digestion. Even small amounts. How do you feel about beans? If you need that dense type of carb, beans might work better: hummus, lentils, etc. Just throwing an idea out there. I had to avoid all these dense carbs because they really drove cravings for me. More so than any sugar, chocolate, ice cream out there. Even better if you can avoid all the starchy carbs during this honeymoon first year and stick with veggies for carbs.

Take care.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 10:56 am
VSG on 01/12/17

That is a great idea. I love hummus and in the beginning was eating a tiny bit with scrambled eggs. I like beans as well. You and the other comment are correct, I should probably get away from potatoes. They were just convenient for me to add a little to my meals, but with some more effort in grocery shopping veggies instead can be just as convenient.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/27/17 8:42 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I also suggest you drop potatoes. A medium potato has 26g of carbs. If you're eating any other foods, they exceed your daily carbs count rapidly.

My surgeon's office specifically said to avoid mushy food, not only after surgery but for the rest of your life. These include pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. - anything that will slide easier through your sleeve. They will not keep you satiated and you'll feel hungry sooner.

Protein should be your priority if you want to maximize your weight loss during the early stages after surgery. Period. Don't reduce your protein goals so you can eat a potato to keep your calories within your daily range.

To answer your original question, yes. I thought and planned more about what I would eat after surgery more than I ever had before. I was like a puzzle to me that I wanted to solve in the most perfect way. Was I always perfect? Hell no, but focusing so much energy on it helped me to make better choices and keep that laser focus. Hang tough.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 10:53 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Well I definitely don't eat an whole potato, but I do think you are right, they aren't a great choice. I think I will cut back on potatoes. I was mostly eating them to make it seem like I was having more than just meat, but that's dumb. Vegetables are a much better replacement. I'm not a huge fan of veggies, but I do love tomatoes and cucumbers.

Erin T.
on 5/27/17 9:26 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I've found that I like a lot of things that I either didn't like or could take or leave prior to surgery. I am still eating very few veggies, as I can't get in more than my 2oz serving of protein at most meals. But, I've been occasionally adding a tiny portion of veggies at meals. I'm loving sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms this last week. I've also recently done grilled asparagus and roasted Brussel sprouts. I normally can only eat 1-2 bites, but they taste so good.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 11:33 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Those couple bites are enough for me. I find that I don't mind not being able to eat much, I like it. Just getting a taste of something is satisfying. I dropped the bit of baked potato I usually do for dinner tonight and replaced it with a couple tomato slices lightly salted and it was amazing.

yvranx42
on 5/30/17 10:01 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

YES to the roasted Brussels sprouts!! Those are a favorite in my house, the kids love them too. I love to shave them thin, toss with a little bit of olive oil, salt, & pepper. After they are done, I give them a splash of red wine vinegar. Nothing better! I've had a couple times when I know that we have them in the fridge, I'll make sure I hit my protein goals early in the day and keep my calories really low so I can enjoy several bites of them with dinner.

Most Active